1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Heavy Guage - Better Than DR HiBeams!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Mar 7, 2010.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    So I was hooked a couple of years ago by the stainless steel/nickel sounds. Settled on DR despite their price and longetivity issues.

Read the reviews of Dunlop and ordered up a couple of heavy gauge sets online. GC carries them locally and I don't deal with those dogs unless I absolutely have to.

Have had them on for about a month and they are still bright and rocking. The best feature is the increase in tension and the G strings 50 size over the DR.

DR's are great strings for Rock/Pop and funk on my MM Sterling, but the Dunlops are better, cheaper and don't have the 'buzz' of the lighter guage DR.

Made in California in a very similar design to helicore DRs, they have become my standard set for my regular gigging machines.

2. Thats good to know. Hi-Beams are too bright for me and Sun Beams too mellow.

I LOVE EB but their strings last me about a week or two.

Ill have to give the Dunlops a try

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I think DRs HB heavy set has a .50 G. Are you comparing heavy gauge to non heavy gauge :eyebrow::)?

My Dunlop 4 string set lasted approx 10 days before being quite dead.

4. DR's are known for being very reliable and lasting long. After months, my Hi-Beams still sound pretty bright.

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Do you guys sweat a lot? I change my strings once a year or two, maybe. And even then, they still have some life in them.

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I guess it depends on which tone you like from your strings, the brand new one (doesent ever last long), the mid ground broken in, or the squelshing noise they make when properly dead. I change mine towards the second half of the broken in period which is normally around 4-6 months. Flats I never change as they sound better with age to me.

The Dunlops are at their broken in stage I guess, but as they are so mellow, they sound a lot deader to me, so dont suit the type of stuff I play. The High-beams I had lasted me around 6 months.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Same here....
    Last month I changed my HighBeams on all three StingRays, all were well over a year old and still sounded alright.
    Last night I changed my HB's in my Sabre, and those were two years old, only reason why I changed those was the bass neede a setup.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I go a long time with HB's. Not sure why they don't last for you. I change maybe twice a year, or if I can't remember when I changed last, or when I get the itch for a new bass. New strings are cheaper and sometimes it's all it takes.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I think it really depends on the player. I don't sweat (or have much acidity in my fingers) when I play, so any deadening of my strings is very gradual. I have had someone kill a set of my new strings after a few tunes. That's why I don't tend to let people play my instruments too often. It's too expensive!

10. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Well we successfully sent this one way off topic :D. Next: strings do they make good climbing ropes?...

11. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Dunlops have been on for a couple of weeks now. HB would have lost their absolute new lustre by now and the Dunnies are hanging tough.

Yeah, I like the .50 G string with the Heavy Gauge set much more than the twangy HB.

I sweat and my maple fretboard look dirty after a few days of playing, so maybe that effects the overall longetivity of my strings? Dunno, just gonna stick with Dunlop for a bit and see what happens.

-richard

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020