1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Feb 28, 2008.

1. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Ok I lied I was able to scrounge up enough gear in my basement to do a few quick audio demos the Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz. I just listened to these on my speakers and sub and they have some monstrous bass. I'm pretty impressed with the way this pedal holds the bottom end. However, as with most of my samples, the top end doesn't come out in these. Sounds a lot better live. Oh well. Use your imagination.

The first sample I have for you is some Audioslave. This to me sounds like Tim Commerford. I think if you add a blend pedal, you're there. What do you think?

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz1

The second clip I have is some heavy riffing. It sounds so badass through my rig! I wish the sample was a more accurate representation.

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz2

Next some plucking technique for the hell of it. Mean.

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz3

. So this is quickly becoming my favorite fuzz pedal. Very distortion-like on these samples, gets fuzzy with more gain. It also sounds rad with the gain maxed out but I started getting some weird filtering on my audio equipment before I could do any more samples. Please let me know what you think

EDIT: Ok here are some more samples. The first one is with the gain cranked for a full out fuzz sound.

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz4

The second is with a 105Q after the fuzz for a synthy sound.

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz5

2. SWEET<3

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    That first sample actually does sound very Tim C! I like it alot.

4. yeah...im definitely going to have to buy one of those...i dont know why i havnt done it already...just needed someone to post some samples, i guess...VERY commerford...good job!

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Awesome! I especially dig #3. I really appreciate your samples and look forward to hearing more. Thank you.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Thanks. If I can find time sometime I'm going to hook this up with my 105Q and see if I can cop that Tim Commerford distortion/wah sound.

Oh, and in case anyone was curious about what gear I was using for this I had a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass (passive pickups put in) through a few pedals 105Q -> Hendrix Classic Fuzz -> Box of Rock -> Boss DD-3 into an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro to an Ashdown ABM 115 (believe it or not I like playing through 15's). Mic was an SM57 straight to an outboard soundcard (crap) into my laptop (also crap). I don't have real recording software on my laptop so I just used Audacity, which is a free download I found that had the ability to record some simple sound samples. And in case you can't tell my strings are pretty dead.

7. if you wanna try and get that real timmy c fuzzed wah sound, i would suggest putting the fuzz before the wah in your chain

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Right, that's where I think he runs it. I did mess around with the wah before the fuzz and that sounded alright, but I do intend to switch them around later.

9. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Ok between this, my Z. Vex Box of Rock, and the Analogman Mini Chorus I've got coming I'm pretty satisfied so I'm selling a bunch of pedals I no longer have a use for on ebay. If anyone is interested in a Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet, EHX English Muff'n, MXR M-80 Bass DI, EBS MultiDrive, Boss CEB-3 Chorus, Line 6 Delay Modeler, or an original Marshall Guv'nor pedal head to eBay.

And if you're interested in a Hendrix Classic Fuzz head over to eBay now there's some new ones on there still. The Hendrix Classic Fuzz is an out of production pedal. I just ordered me a backup earlier today.

10. Some wahs don't like a lot of fuzz going into them, though. I have an Ibanez Weeping Demon, and if I run my Big Muff Pi into it, I get terrible feedback/noise/squeeling with the toe all the way down. Right now I have a couple of dirt pedals going into the wah, and the Big Muff after it. That gives me a few options.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    That first clip sounds a lot like the sound I'm trying to get, the one used by Kim Gordon all over the Dirty album (like in the middle of Theresa's Sound World and loads of others). I knew she used a tubescreamer so thought it was just that, but having a quick search turned up the Dunlop Hendrix Octave Fuzz pedal. If that's the pedal she uses quite a lot, I guess it sounds pretty similar to your fuzz pedal, minus the octave.

Got me gassing for one of these now!

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've played the Hendrix Octave Fuzz too and it is a pretty cool pedal. I don't remember much about it, but you may be right about it having a similar sound.

And I play my 105Q with a fairly low Q setting which really helps cut down on unwanted squealing and feedback. I don't expect I'll have a problem with feedback and whatnot but we'll see.

13. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Kim Gordon also used a Proco Turbo Rat quite a bit...

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    To me this pedal sounds more like a distortion than a fuzz. It seems grittier than a fuzz and has more definition. Still a great pedal!

16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    On the setting I had it on it's very distortion-ish but it still has that fuzzy edge. Like I said, if you crank the gain you're in full on fuzz territory. I'll try again to do a sample of that later it's a really cool fuzz. Has nice bass no Muff style mid scoop and I think way better note definition than the Muff. Of course you'll notice that the Hendrix Classic Fuzz doesn't have a tone knob, but I don't find that I need one with it. Wherever it's set sounds pretty good to me.

17. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    The only thing about this pedal, too me, is that the volume pot needs to be past 2:00 at least. The fuzz past 12:00.

On mine, anything below those settings and the signal is qiueter than a clean signal.

FWIW, I compared it to an MXR blowtorch and got a similar tone from the blowtorch, but the blowtorch was more tonally flexible.

For some reason though, the JH Classic Fuzz interacts better with my overdrive better than the blowtorch does. I run the JHCF thru an English Muff'n and I get a great high gain distortion. This did not work as well with the blowtorch.

18. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Yeah, I found unity gain to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 o'clock, so there probably isn't much boost available. There are a wide range of usable gain settings though. I actually prefer the Hendrix fuzz to the Blowtorch because it sounds more aggressive to me, which I like.

19. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I played with the Hendrix Fuzz and the 105Q some. Some typical wah distortion sounds with the wah out front. Might be possible to take it into shred zone with a different wah like a 535Q or a Bootzilla. But like with a lot of fuzzes on bass, if you have the gain high enough and the wah out front, the wah sound will get lost.

With the wah behind the fuzz so far I've gotten some really cool synthy sounds. I'll try to do a sound sample of that later; I'm out of town right now for the next couple of days. No magic Commerford fuzz/wah yet, but if I jack up my Q control some more it might be possible... I'll have to play with that later.

What I'd also like to try is two 105Qs, one before and one after the fuzz, perhaps with different Q settings, or two 105Q's either in series and parallel, again perhaps with different Q settings. The EHX Bassballs has two filters going at the same time, I think. It's an interesting sound.

20. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    sounds great, i think would come in use a lot for me round the place :)