1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Feb 28, 2008.

1. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    I forgot to mention,

Nice clips, thanks for posting :D

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    man i always love your fuzzed out slap clips... sounds sick

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Thanks. More clips of this and hopefully the Box of Rock coming in the near future.

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    So I played around with it some more, and I've got to say you won't get the Tim Commerford fuzz/wah sound with just one 105Q. You'll need a more complex rig. I'm planning on buying a second 105Q just to use as a backup eventually, I'm happy with my wah/overdrive sounds, but if anyone is interested I could maybe rig them up together with some different possibilities and see what happens. At any rate I hope to have more clips up tomorrow.

5. been there, done that...one wah is not enough...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...friendID=183550055&albumID=0&imageID=16057452

swapped the guvnor out for another custom fuzz (which id like to swap out for the hendrix fuzz after your clips) and the cae/mxr boost is now an ehx soul preacher (which im on the fence about for what im using it for)

ill be back in the studio this spring with my new band, so, ill have clips posted after thats all said and done

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Cool. I appreciate soundclips. I did a couple more soundclips of the Hendrix Fuzz, the first is with the fuzz cranked for an all out fuzz sound:

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz4

The second is with the 105Q after the fuzz for a synthy sound:

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz5

Any comments, questions, criticisms, whatever, welcome.

Also I should note that even though I didn't notice much if any low end loss with my Jazz Bass with the Hendrix fuzz, I plugged my SG bass in with it, which is much meatier and hefty sounding, and I noticed a good deal of low end loss with that bass. Just something to think about.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Try putting another buffered pedal before the fuzz (e.g. a Boss tuner, or anything else that won't affect the tone much) and see if it alters how the low end is lost between different basses?

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Ok. I did have the 105Q in front of it, but I'll play around with buffers when I get a chance and see if I notice anything different and let you know. It is true in my experience putting buffers in front of fuzzes can make them act very differently.

9. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    Man! I want one of these!

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I don't know if I said it yet or not, but the Hendrix Fuzz is out of production. You can still find a few new on ebay at the moment though for about 80 bucks, so for anyone interested in this pedal I'd recommend checking out ebay in the near future.

11. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    these soundsclips are are busted, typical of putfile. any chance they could be moved to another site?

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I hate to say it but I don't have hard copies of these clips any more... but I do still have the Hendrix Fuzz so I can do new clips and put them on soundclick. I'll try to do that sometime this week, I've got some other clips to record as well.

13. I have one of these pedals.

14. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    thanks man. i'm pretty into the PE depth charge i have right now, but the upper octave isn't as pronounced as i'd like. curious to hear it on the jimi with bass.

15. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    First of all the Hendrix Classic Fuzz is NOT the Hendrix Octave Fuzz. There is NO octave on the Classic Fuzz. Besides that, if you want a pronounced octave up effect, look into the PE Clean Octave Blend and the PE Experience pedals. I did soundclips for both of those recently.

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Cool, now that you have tried out more fuzz pedals, like the Analog Man Sunface, how does this compare?

17. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    If you're looking for something to lay down distorted bass lines with, I'd definitely go with the Hendrix Fuzz, if you can find one. That's not just necessarily for Tim Commerfordesque sounds, it's a good pedal for distorted bass lines. Doesn't hold all the bottom with my SG Bass but I didn't seem to lose anything with my Jazz. With the Fuzz at about 3 o'clock is where I liked the Hendrix Fuzz for that stuff.

Also for heavy riffing, with power chords, I'd probably still go with the Hendrix Fuzz, at least with a Jazz (might go with the Sun Face with the SG). It's just a little nastier and heavier sounding, and it doesn't need as much gain to do that.

But the Sun Face is the winner if you want to do some leads. Not that the Hendrix Fuzz can't do leads well, it does. But the Sun Face is just so smooth, and yet balls out distorted and in your face at the same time. It's just more musical in the context of a lead solo part; it sings more.

For the $80 they cost when they were still in production the Hendrix Fuzz is a good pedal, but I haven't checked how available they are on eBay lately.

18. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Actually listening again to this clip:

http://media.putfile.com/JHFuzz4

I might use the Hendrix Fuzz for leads with my Jazz. With my SG I think the Sun Face is better for leads, but with the Jazz, I think the Hendrix Fuzz really does it. The Sun Face isn't as balls to the wall on the Jazz as it is with the SG, but the Hendrix Fuzz gets there for me in that clip.

19. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Hendrix fuzz all the way then, I'm not playing leads. Heavier and nastier are what I want in a fuzz, but is it still different enough to be fuzz and not distortion? By the way, http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...l_-1_10052_10002_-49976761_cmCategorySA-10001

20. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Well it's a Fuzz Face clone, which is a distortionish fuzz. I mean it's hard to call because the Fuzz Face was around before the idea of "distortion" pedals. It was all about fuzz in those days, so that's what they called it. Think of it as an organic fuzz that kinds of skims the line between distortions and fuzzes (not that there aren't fuzz faces that are pure gnarly fuzz, there's all sorts of different sounding fuzz faces out there). But like I said the technique that I put into the Hendrix Fuzz to get my sound out of it is more like the technique I use with other fuzzes as opposed to distortions. I play different pedals with slightly different techniques.