1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop + L2500 = sweeet!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mmbongo, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I know that it's hard to find strings that fit an L2500 strung through body, so I thought I'd pass along that Dunlop strings do in fact fit perfectly.

I normally use SIT's on this bass but just couldn't take the .45's anymore and wanted to drop down to .40's, but SIT does not offer a super long .40 set.

Plus, they sound great! Warm, round, punchy...they deliver the goods.

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Nickels or steels? I ask because I cheaped out this time and ordered a set of the nickels for my jazz instead of the usual Sunbeams.

3. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I use the Nickels. I also use them on my ESP Jazz. Love them. I have Sunbeams on my Peavey Millennium (still use .45's on it) and when it comes time to change them I'll try the Dunlop nickels on it as well, just to see how they compare. I love the Sunbeams, but don't love the price :)

I'd love to know how you like them compared to the Sunbeams!

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I usually use Sunbeams, and after reading all the positive reviews, decided to try the Dunlop nickels. They were great... except they died a lot sooner than the DR's IMO. I dont have really sweaty hands, and rounds usually last me longer than the Dunlops did. Perhaps I just got a bad set. :confused: At their price, it might be worth another try.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Odd, I find my Dunlops to last ages, one of the things I like about them.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    The first time that I had ever used Dunlop Nickels, was on a Peavey Millenium USA I had. Great strings! From then on they were my main string. I've been trying to tell everyone that they will fit a 35 inch scale bass. I ran them through the body of several 35 inch scale basses.

Thats very odd. I tried sunbeams but didn't care for them.

They last longer than most strings do. Especially DR.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup, I got a 6, 7 month old set that still sound fantastic.

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I haven't had the Dunlops OR the Sunbeams long enough to see which lasts longer, but at $16-ish a set (on the 4 string sets) for the Dunlops you can replace them twice as often as DR's :)

9. I bought a set of Dunlop stainless'and put them on my Fender. Only had them on there a few days, but they seem to be OK. I haven't tried the nickels yet.

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    and they sound better!

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    These things are Sunbeams, as far as I'm concerned. I only played them for an hour or so tonight, but on my fretless jazz, they sound almost identical to me. Tension might be a tad higher, but I can live with it, I think.

I also strung some Fatbeams on my ESP, it normally has HighBeams - I like these too, almost the same, but snarlier, in a good way. The E also seems a little more defined. My logic was to save some on the Jazz so I could try the Marcus Millers, too. I think they're both pretty decent.

12. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    I had the same problem with mine, and two other bass players I know broke strings within a week of having them. I am staying away from them for now.

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i can't say that i agree with you there. maybe I didn't give the sunbeams enough time to break in? :atoz:

sunbeams were extremely bright to me and didn't have much low mid focus to me. i was told if i wanted more low mids to try nickel low riders. i prefer the dunlops. they are a great price and last longer than most strings i've tried.

i can get a set from my local guy for 22.75, or three sets for 60 bucks!

I was paying 30 a set and thought it was good, considering MF sells them for 25 bucks a set, but now, i'm getting a great deal.

14. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Good to know I'm not the only one. Thrust me to get a dud set on my first try out of them. :crying: