1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Marcus Miller 5 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigBobbyBass, Nov 14, 2015.

1. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Wow.. I finally found my strings! I've been playing DR's and Superbright nickels. I liked the SB nickels, but when the settled, they got really scooped sounding. Not the case with the MM's. Bright and super punchy, I couldn't be happier. Also, I had no idea how much your strings effect your overall tone. Lesson learned;better late than never)..

Snibborwocky likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Excellent. Dunlop Super Brights were really an eye opener for me as well! The whole line is fantastic :)

BigBobbyBass likes this.
  3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013

mmbongo, I was under the impression that you werent too terribly enthralled with the newer MM brights. I use Fatbeams & had been advised that the newer brights probsbly have more midrange than I prefer-- I like scooped! (For example, lo riders dont do it for me.)

However, the Youtube demo of MM playing 'Detroit' at the Dunlop booth @NAMM does sound sufficiently close to the original--but noy exactly hifi. For those of us who want alonger lasting substitute for Fatbeams would you recommend them? Also, do you think gauges 100-40 are beefy sounding enough?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No actually I don't care much for stainless steels at all, but the Dunlop MM's (and FatBeams) are probably the best steels I've used. FatBeams are definitely more scooped, Dunlops have a nice crunchy midrange and are not subdued at all. 40-100's are definitely beefy enough, that's what I use in the nickels.

5. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013

Thanx mmbongo. I am reluctant to try the Super Brights because I think they might end up sounding like LoRiders from their description. One more dumb question: if the MM super brights areless scooped, then do you think Marcus Miller is able to maintain his old sound by Eqing? Simply boosting the extremes even more

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nah, compared to Super Brights, LowRiders sound like they have a wet blanket over them.

I'm sure Marcus does a lot of trickery to get his tone, it comes from a lot more than just the strings :)

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    …his hands! ;)

bassomane likes this.
  8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    I'm actually testing a set on MM 45-125 and so far I like them. Compared to the SB SS they have a little more bottom, but to my ears the mids and highs are not much different… hard to tell in the mix!... also tension wise I didn't see much difference...

9. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013

OK. I hear the nickels have super low tension. Also true for the SS SBs? Comperable to the FatBeams or less? On my MM bass I am using 105-80-60-45 FatBeams. (VERY stable neck) That is why I decided that if I get MM SBs I would use 100-40 due to the assumption of slightly higher tension of those hex cores. But... if they also have "low tension" as Mo claims, maybe I should stick to 105-80-60-45?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  10. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013

You bet Miller has a magic touch. But you cant thump or pluck "scooped" per se

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I would say they feel about like FatBeams tension wise, which is very nice and loose but with that snap you get from a hex core. I use both the 40-100 and 45-105 and love them both so either one is fine if you ask me!

12. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013

I did a bit of research & I dont see a MM SB set of 40-100 anywhere. They "hype" boasts of "string to string balance" which seems incongruous having a 65 gauge d string in a 105-45 set. Again, I am hesitant to change the string tension at this time until my neck warps a bit & starts to cause fret buzzing--& it has to adjusted anyway. These strings would have to have less tension than FatBeams to replace my existing set (105 80 60 45). Maybe in 4-6 months-- Jesus I like the price!

BTW. Jason @BSO has told me more than once (hope he doesn't mind my quoting him) that those round core strings have less tension only in terms of their flexibity, not in terms of the tension placed on the neck. One issue is stiffness, the other pounds of pressure. Tony @ DR concurred with that. I told Tony here is where tension charts are needed. He replied, "email me & I will forward it to the right people

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah since they are MM's 'signature' set they probably have limited gauges. If MM doesn't use them, he probably wouldn't put his name on them so if you want 40-100 just get the regular SuperBrights, as they are more flexible than the MM's.

Also, don't be concerned about having a .65 D string, but trust me, I know exactly what you are talking about. But just because other manufacturers .65 feels like a high tension line does not mean all of them will. It's all in the string design, and SuperBright's are very balanced. Otherwise I wouldn't use them myself.

At one time round core strings like DR were definitely the most flexible strings out there, but some hex core strings like SuperBrights have changed all of that. Also keep in mind that just because a string has a round core does not always mean it's super flexible, such as GHS Round Core Boomers. It's all in the design and construction.

Levin likes this.