1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop Marcus Miller stainless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MattZilla, Feb 9, 2019.

1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Got these on a whim almost a year ago and finally threw them on. Not really a MM fan, I like his sounds, and these do sound a lot more like his sounds than the dead nickels that came off. I didnt realize that they were stainless when I got them.

Golly, they have chewn up my fingers something fierce! Worse than Rotos.

Anyone had these able to say if they break in as, eh, extremely as Roto 66s?

eriky4003 likes this.
  2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    They shouldn’t.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I've been using Dunlop SB MM 45125 set on my always using stainless steel strings gigging bass in the last few months. Although it's been a while since last time I used Roto Swing SS 66 (like 3 years ago), I could recall they went dead sooner than these still fresh sounding MM set has been on.

But funny you said the SB MM set has chewed your finger worse than the Rotos, cause these felt easier on the tip of my fingers than previous D'A FlexSteels, which felt nothing compared to the Roto harshness. Maybe you have been accustomed to nickels too long?

BrentSimons and MattZilla like this.
  4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Yeah, when being mildly amazed at how nice these sound when digging in I totally forgot that I've spent the last year or two learning to pluck and fret as softly as possible... that plus old nickels definitely would make for soft fingers.

Jamming as usual later this afternoon revealed that these are some pretty sweet strings even with a soft touch and the tone down. I'm curious what 66s or even PSDs would be like with my older (better?) fingers..

5. Now we're talking! These are my favourite string these days. I've always said they sound very similar to Rotos including the feel of those strings. Vindication! Thanks, MattZilla! Nice, bright strings with booty which I didn't find with the regular Dunlop Super Brights. The tone mellows a bit but last way longer than 66s. If you want a similar, more polite sound but a softer-to-the-touch string then DR Fat Beams would be a good choice but won't have the grind when you dig in.

BrentSimons and MattZilla like this.