Dunlop Mini Bass Wah vs EHX Big Muff Pi

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TortoiseBass, Aug 31, 2020.

1. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    So I have an overdive pedal and am looking at the two above. I know they’re different effects so it may be harder to answer but which would be better for a beginner? I play every kind of rock and I play heavy and thrash metal.

On the big muff, Cliff Burton used a guitar one and I love the sound.

On the Crybaby Mini Wah, Geezer Butler and Cliff Burton both used wahs and I love what they do with them.

Keep in mind, my overdrive is a Tom’sline Engineering ABY-3 Bluesy guitar overdrive so that may affect the choice (as it’s a Chinese Mini Guitar pedal, I repeat, Geetar).

Thanks for any input! :D

2. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    It doesn't really matter if it's a guitar pedal as long as it sounds good. The biggest issue with pedals designed for guitar on bass is that they usually drop a lot of low range. If you find that lacking in your current pedal, I'd look at a different drive first of all. The muff might work for that but muffs are somewhat infamous for getting lost in the mix due to their scooped midrange. Which is not to say that will be the case for you. Or that you have to care about that. A lot muff variants will let you compensate with dry blend, crossover, or active tone shaping. There's no shortage of good bass overdrive pedals and while your idols can provide good guidance, they also had less to choose from. Try to aim for finding your own sound, not theirs :)

3. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    The Big Muff mix thing isn’t much of a problem for me as I just jam with my little band of friends. I feel the Muff will probably be able to operate as a new OD. Either that or the Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive. Though I would like a wah wah as the work of Cliff and Geezer are some of my favourite bass parts.

Thanks for the reply!

YawningJorin likes this.