1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dunlop MXR m-80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monsterweights, Dec 30, 2002.

1. I thought I would throw another opinion into the ring on this device. I bought it instead of the Sansamp for three reasons. First, it was a lot cheaper, second, it has a noise gate, which I was looking for because I play a Yamaha BBG5S, which is not known for quiet electronics. Third, since the Yamaha does not have a mid control, I wanted my box to have one, and the sansamp doesn't have it.

First impressions are very positive. The noise gate works great, and you can dial in a lot of different kinds of tones using this thing. I can get a super clean, fat tone, or go with a high distortion sound, which I am not likely to use very much. The EQ is great, but haven't been able to make the "color" button do anything. After playing with it for 20 minutes, I turned it off, and really hated the sound of my bass without it. I never want the two to be apart again. It can make a cheap bass sound much better than it is. Havn't tried it on my fretless yet. That comes next.
    Anybody else have experience with these that they would like to share?