1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Straplok Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cubeface, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I got my Dunlop straplok system yesturday, and installed the parts which screw into the bass. Then I started putting the parts which clip onto the strap. One end of the strap worked, but the other didn't. :(

I use a nice thick leather strap (I find it very comfortable) and I can't get the peice into the strap... It's hard to describe, but I can get that thing (with the button) through the hole of the strap, but then I can't get the washer and the small metal disk wich clicks into the thing with the button both on: the leather strap is too thick.
    I hope someone can make sense of my problem...
    I don't really know how I can clip it into my strap :confused:

:help:

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Before you go to put the retaining clip on (the little "U" shaped 1/2 ring), get a set of pliers and squeeze down on the button hole of the strap. This will momentarily compress the leather strap enough to allow you to get the retainer ring on.

You can also use a needlenose plier to force the retainer on, but be careful not to apply too much direct pressure.

I have very thick leather straps, too, and this has worked the best for me..... :cool:

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I had a similar problem. It took two people/4 hands and a lot of pressure to compress the leather. Don't give up. It took several tries before I got it to work.

Joe

4. I had exactly the same problem, just like everyone else using the leather strap / Dunlop straplock combination.

I squeezed the leather by pressing down on the button with my thumb whilst also holding the disc with my index and middle fingers.
    In other words, you are compressing the leather with those two fingers whilst pushing the button (with your thumb), through the disc.
    You then use a plier to click the washer into position. If you find that the leather still isn't being compressed enough, get someone to help you out.
    Hope this helps.

5. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I just tryed doing that a few times, it helps a bit, but still no luck.
    It also seems that the hole in the strap is very small, and the little bar with the button is having a hard time just going through the hole. What can I do about that?

6. If you can't get the button through the strap, there isn't much you can do.

Anyway, if that is the case, you wouldn't really need a straplock, because the strap probably won't fall off.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    You can take your strap to a shoe repair shop or a luggage store and they can make the hole bigger for you. I won't cost a lot. They have the right tools for the job.

I once bought a leather strap that was way too long for me and they shortened it by taking out a section.

Joe

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Don't use just any plain pliers. Go with a set of channel lock pliers and clamp it down for a few minutes. I did the same thing with my Schallers and it worked like a charm.

9. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Yay, I got my straploks all set up. Thanks for everybody's tips!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021