1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop Super Bright Frustration.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Aug 23, 2018.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I’ve been a super bright fan for a while now. My gigging 5 string jazzes have been wearing them a couple years. I typically change out my strings every 2-4 weeks depending on a few things. I’ve never been a fan of the .125 low B that comes in standard super bright packs. I had been ordering the 6 string set from BSO and ditching the c string. Recently, Jason got a limited stock of .130 tapered Low B’s Dunlop’s. They were fantastic. But Dunlop isn’t actually producing them. I see they offer their standard Dunlop strings in a .130 and a .130 taper. Why not the super brights? Isn’t a .130 kind of the industry standard? What gives?? I’ve tried so many other strings and none of them give me what the super brights do. I just can’t handle the .125 floppy B. Rant over.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why not ask Dunlop?

3. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I did. They responded. “We aren’t keeping the .130 super bright in production. It was a limited run for an artist. We sent the extras to BSO.”

armybass likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  5. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I just don’t understand why. I can’t be the only person who hates a .120 or .125 B

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm sure you're not. But Dunlop does pretty well for themselves. If they thought making the string you like was a sound business decision than they would do it. But evidently they don't. There are plenty of other string makers out there.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Thyre
    Wait...they are doing away with the .130 all together, or just the tapered version?

8. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    All I see available is the .120 or .125 super bright low B. The only way to get a .130 is to buy a 6 string set. But, I can't seem to find a 6 string set anywhere.

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bah. I bought a bunch of .130 singles from BSO last year (and I mean a bunch!) and I sold half of them because I figured I'd never use that many. Now I've got like 4 left, I figured I'd just buy more when the time comes. Now BSO is gone and Dunlop may not even have any either!

10. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Right! I'm bummed. I can't explain how much I LOVE super brights. I've tried so many different strings over the years. They're the only rounds I've ever loved. But, If I can't get a .130 B, I'm not buying them. Sad day.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah I love them too, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy them and pay a premium for them.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Ask dunlop if they’ll do another custom run we can all divvy up. I use the nontapered 130 from the 6 string set and just throw the C string away. If someone is going to coordinate sign me up for 5 or 10 sets.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  13. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Right. I just want them readily available. 45-130 sets should be a manufacturing standard.

14. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    I'm intersted in the c string if anybody still has any...
    Instead of throwing them away...
    I'll pay for the shipping...
    Just PM me

Thx.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  15. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    That sucks. I have one set left, seems like is time to go back to DR’s.

16. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Sucks real bad

17. Isn't there anyone from Dunlop lurking and reading these posts?

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  18. Do you mean the 30/130 six string set is discontinued ?

EDIT in stock at Amazon.

19. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    No the .130 isn’t discontinued. The .130 tapered B is and they don’t offer any .130’s in a 5 string set.

20. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I love the tone and pretty balanced feel of superbrights. But, I became frustrated with the quality control. Nearly every pack bought had 1 or more strings with micro kinks in them.
    Also, SB's can be a little too floppy sometimes.

I tried DR Pure Blues and have not looked back. Zero quality issues. Even better balance to the feel from string to string. More positive feel, while still being flexible. The .130 is available in a standard pack and is the best B I have ever used.
    Tone is big and edgy when new. Reminds me of the discontinued Helix strings from Dean Markley. Big lows.
    Tone stays good as they age.
    SB's do that, too. The point is, Pure Blues also sound notably great, while showing many benefits for me, over superbrights.