1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop Super Bright MM vs Rotosound 66

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonahlane, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    Hey! As a college kid on a tight budget, but a love for growly strings, I'm wondering what you all have to say on these two brands. I've heard great things about both, but I'm looking for a more direct comparison from someone who has used both.

I play a lot of rock oriented music a-la U2 or Foo Fighters.

2. I've used both. They are very similar in feel and sound. I give the edge to the MM Dunlop Super Brights as I have found they keep the zing longer (I hate to harp on this, but the last set of Rotos I bought, the E died about 6 weeks after I had put on the set).

3. HarveySpaceBass

HarveySpaceBass

Sep 24, 2007
    A 30 year Roto user, I have been doing a lot of comparisons lately between the regular Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steel, the MM, and Rotosound. Between the MM and Rotos, IMO the MM have a bit more going on in mids...less "scooped" if you will. I also feel as though the highs are a bit tamer than the Rotos. They have zing but not quite as much as the Rotos. Between these three, I have actually settled on the regular SS Super Brights due to the lower tension. The feel of the regular Super Brights (nickel and steel) are like nothing else out there. This is all pretty subjective so I would recommend getting both and comparing them on your basses.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    trothwell and wschenk like this.
  4. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    That's pretty good IMO. The last several sets of Rotos I tried about a year ago had multiple dead string out of the pack. Kinda reminded me of what was happening with them in the 1990s. I seem to always get sucked back into trying them again (especially after watching Geddy Lee in the Time Machine videos) and have not had a good pack in multiple tries. They owe me a case of strings for all the wasted money and frustration.