1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steel Strings - What to expect?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JVbass, Mar 30, 2016.

1. JVbass

JVbass

Feb 15, 2009
    Cleveland OH
    I installed some Super Bright Nickels Medium gauge on one of my jazz basses & I love the strings!!
    I want to install some Super Bright Stainless Steels medium gauge on my other jazz. My question is what can I expect in the tension & feel. I assume the tension will be the same, but since they're steels, I expect there to be some difference in feel. Has anyone tried both?
    Thanks!

2. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I tried em, broke the E string (stainless) while tuning the first time. Got a new set, had to re-do my intonation (never had to do that with pro steels). The feel was a bit grittier than the nickles, the tension was pretty close to the same, maybe a little firmer. The mid range was a little weird compared to the nickles.

3. I've recently switched to the steels coming from the super bright nickels.
    Same tension, similar character in sound.
    I feel like the steels are slightly grippier (not in a bad way) and nickels are slightly silkier.
    The steels have a bright chime and the highs are not harsh, but musical.
    The nickels IMO are crunchier rather than bright.
    I was worried that the steels might not be as good, but they are just as good as the nickels.
    Slightly different tonally in the upper register. Plenty of lows on both.

boynamedsuse and Mystic Michael like this.
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I liked them but prefer Kalium's stainless steel strings actually on my fretless. The Dunlop's seemed to die a bit faster and felt a bit rougher than other stainless steel strings I've played. I had a set on my fretted Ibanez SR Premium 1405TE and I much preferred the nickel variants to the stainless.

5. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

Expect these strings to lose their zing within 2-3 months. When purchasing these strings, at least buy 3-4 sets if you plan to have the Dunlops be your main brand of strings.

80jazz likes this.
  6. I bought two sets of Super Bright Nickels and one set of Super Bright Stainless Steels, 40-100. I put the Nickels on my Schecter Raiden Special-4 (passive dual humbucker/single coils) and then put on the Stainless. The tension feels the same to me. The Steels are getting to be about 4 months old and they are nicely broken in.

Go for it man!