1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop Super Bright Taper B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, May 20, 2018.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Anyone else try these?? I got a set from BSO and love them! I’ve always had a thing for Dunlop super brights but HATED the 125 low B. I used to buy the 6 string set and just toss the high C so I could get the .130 B string. I strung my jazz up with this taper B .130 and love it. I’ve never used tapered strings before. The B sounds and feels more responsive and clear to me. Anyone else??

2. Daniel Page

Daniel Page

May 25, 2015
    I have not, I have the marcus millers on my stingray 5 and was thinking it could use a tapered b string with a heavier gauge

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I love the .130 Super Bright as well (I buy single .130's from Bass Strings Online) and next time I'll probably try the taper for my Lakland. My Roscoe does not like tapered strings though.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  4. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I've got a set sitting around waiting to go on my bass... After it gets back from a refret. I tried the Marcus Miller set a while ago. Lots of mid crunch if I recall correctly.

Marihino, MoeTown1986 and eriky4003 like this.
  5. Glad to hear the tapered B worked so well - once my supply of the non-tapered B strings is gone (I too use the 6 string set just to get the .130). I am trying the tapered B .130 5 string set.

J

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  6. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Update: got all 3 of my jazzes strung with the .130 Tapered B and they sound and feel great. I like it quite a bit more than a standard .130. I wish these strings weren’t so hard to find. I can’t figure out why Dunlop won’t offer a 45-130 sets!

7. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
  8. Sorry I wasn't aware of this.

All I hear around here is Jason is the man, Jason is the man, Jason is the man... ;)

9. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    He most definitely is. I’ve spent thousands through him over the years. I hope he’s enough of the man to talk Dunlop into Keeping these!

michael_t likes this.
  10. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Got an email from Dunlop! These strings are currently in development. BSO just happened to get the first few batches. They will be a standard thing.

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Hey @MoeTown1986,

could you tell us the length of the taper measured from the ball end?

12. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, I can pull a measurement when I get home from work. Unless someone can tag Jason from BSO. He can probably answer that faster than me.

13. @SLaPiNFuNK ...

14. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Thanks! I couldn’t remember his name on here.

15. I was in love with the Dulop SS SBs, but they didn't seem to last as long as my usual brand so I went back to Prosteels. I'm also a fan of taper wound B strings for the same reasons you mentioned. In fact, the set I'm using (EPS300-5) has a taper wound B/E/A.