1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop Super Brights drop D?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mouthmw, Sep 13, 2017.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm planning on getting a 45-105 sb dunlop nickels for my jazz. Currently I have EB Super Slinky 45-100 on it. My bass is in standard tuning but we have a song or two where we tune to drop D. Super Slinkies aren't the best for drop D but it's fine for these rare occasions.
    How do Super brights work in drop D tuning considering they're lower tension\slinkier?

2. HarveySpaceBass

HarveySpaceBass

Sep 24, 2007
    I have a Hipshot detuner on both my Music Man Sterling and one of my Fender Jazz basses. Both basses have the Super Bright Stainless Steel. My action is somewhat low (2mm @ 17th fret) and IMO it works just fine. I think it all depends on your setup and personal preference as far as fret buzz as there probably will be a bit. But, I don't think there will be much of a difference between the Slinkys and the Dunlops. Like you said, "fine for these rare occasions".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    mouthmw likes this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Alrighty, I just ordered a pack. Been really wondering how they'd compare to Sunbeams, which I'm also curious about again (haven't played them in years, but I know I used to love them). Something about those flexible lower tension strings is starting to draw me in.

tindrum likes this.
  4. RhythmandRotgut

RhythmandRotgut

Apr 14, 2012
    JCMO
    How’d they turn out? What do you think? I myself am contemplating super brights for drop D.

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Oh boy, several things changed since then. I tried them on my Music Man SUB (USA) actually, before I made this thread (at least a year before), so I was trying to remember why I made this thread. I was probably curious about the drop D thing in particular, since I haven't used the Super Brights that much.

Anyways, I tried them on the Flea sig jazz that I owned back then, and I also tested Sunbeams again (45-105). They both feel similar (Super Brights were a tad more loose), and sound good, but they're too floppy for me. I tried a set of Sunbeams and Pure Blues on an American Pro Jazz though, this time stringing through the body and that tightens up the feel for me, considerably. I could use these strings when going through the body, but I much prefer stringing through the bridge, so I ended up using super slinkies through the bridge anyways. I don't have the pro jazz anymore (every time I give a J bass a shot, I realize it's not really my jam so I always go back to Ps and Rays).

So, on my P bass, I'm still using La Bella flats 760FS, half a step down tuning. On my Stingray, I'm still using Super Slinkies. Super Slinkies have the perfect amount of tension to me, they feel the best to me, and they last a long time for me (especially true for Stingray basses). Again, to answer your question - feel is very subjective and depends on what you want out of it, depends on your action and how you play. I would definitely recommend you to try a set of Super Brights, unless you need your strings to feel taut. They're not expensive, and you might end up liking them. If you want a soft, pliable, flexible string that sounds really nice - give em a shot.

RhythmandRotgut likes this.