Dunlop Super Brights Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mediocrity Man, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Just put a set of Dunlop Super Bright Marcus Miller 45 to 105's on my Spector ReBop 4dlx.

This bass loves stainless steel strings for some reason. Nice deep low end with solid mids. A little crisp on the top end but not overly bright. The bass growls like a beast now. Tension is medium I'd say but the grabby feeling is the one thing I don't like. We'll see how they do over time.

eriky4003 likes this.
  2. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    The grabby feeling goes away after a while. Definitely a great string.

PeaveyPlayer and Mediocrity Man like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Yeah the Millers are a little stiffer than the normal SuperBrights. Beautiful sounding strings! Hopefully you got them at Bass Strings Online, who has them on sale which makes them even better! :)

4. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Paid top price at GC unfortunately. If I'm still liking these in a few weeks I will certainly be ordering on line next time. I was looking for Sunbeams but as usual they didn't have what I wanted. I'm still going to shop for Sunbeams for my other basses.

5. mmbongo

Well, Bass Strings Online has Sunbeams too :) Get your Beams and grab a few sets of SuperBrights while they are $11 and change!

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    If you are used to Sunbeams (Nickel Plated Steel) then most any Stainless Steel string is going to feel grabby. The feel may go away for you once your body oils start mixing with the string surface. This goes for most any Stainless strings.

With the smaller diameter outer winding of the DR strings most any string you use is going to feel a little grabbier.

Jeff O'Connor and Mediocrity Man like this.
  7. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Love these strings! and I got a couple sets when Bass Strings online had a big sale on them, so thanks!

8. mmbongo

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  9. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    Nice reminder, thanks. Just got 2 sets from BSO. I love these strings! I was playing the SB nickles, and really liked them, but on a whim put on some Roto 66's. There it was, that old, aggressive growl from my jazz. Plus, I was looking for some additional stiffness/tension since I just started playing with a new rock band that tunes down 1/2. The rotos fit the bill, and I love that old roto sound and feel, but they just change so fast as they break in. So I ordered the 2 sets of MM SB's since they are on sale, and they are great replacements for Rotosound 66's! Close to the same tension, close to the same feel, same crunch, same massive low end. The mids are really there too. It almost seems like Marcus Miller wanted to go back to a Rotosound sound and feel. I'll give a follow up on longevity, hopefully they last as long as the nickle SB's. Love supporting a local company as well.

eriky4003 likes this.
  10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I noticed that GC had these on clearance today. $9 for a set of 4 strings, $11 for 5 strings. Is Marcus leaving Dunlop / Dunlop leaving Marcus?

11. mmbongo

Nope. GC is is selling pretty much only DR and Ernie Ball strings now. Everything else is clearanced.

RichSnyder likes this.
  12. I see the price of these strings has dropped (with my supplier anyway). Not as much of a premium over the regular Super Brights now which was originally hard to swallow. I'm hoping this pricing remains.

13. Just grabbed some today, as I currently have some flats and I can't get any good growl or slap tone from them. I've been spoiled by flats and tapes since I started playing bass, and I know these strings are "grabby" so I still haven't put them on my bass! :crying:

I think I have to trade comfort for the tone I want

14. I did the same and got 6 sets (standard SBs) while they were on sale ... just replaced another set, and still have 2 sets left.

I so love the sound of these, but wish they were as springy as my former string of choice ... D'Add Prosteels.

15. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Just ordered a stingray classic 5

I'll either put Marcus dunlops on it or cobalt flats

I have a warmoth build with the Marcus strings, I had the same feeling about them (solid lows,solid mids, crisp highs) they have a satisfying girth with you slap em

:thumbsup: