1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Super Brights: Nickel or SS?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    If you use Dunlop Super Brights, do you use nickel or SS And why? I cannot decide which one to order.

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The nickels are great but I've decided that I perfer SS on my main bass. I think it depends on the sound you want and the bass you are putting them on.

Mystic Michael, chinjazz and bholder like this.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Luckily they aren't very expensive so buying one of each is not a bad option.

4. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Agree with Basss. Depends on what you're going for. One of my basses natural ingredients made me want a more modern tone on it so I put D'Addario ProSteels on it and it's just right. My 3 jazz basses have Dunlop Super Bright Nickels.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Good question.

I have not tried the SB SS strings but I put sets of SB Nickels on my Ibanez 6er as well as one of my Fodera 5ers and they were suprisingly bright when new. They are both well over a month old now and after lots of use they have settled into really nice sounding strings. Like normal semi-worn nickels, but still have a bit of twang/brightness.

I would be very interested to hear how the SS SBs compare when new as well as how they age.

6. I tried a set of SB steels on my Yamaha BB NE2. I found them very bright and harsh for my taste (i do like a bright edge my sound), and they died quickly, more so the low B. I got a set of SB nickels on now and i like them more, both feel and tone. I'm still undecided on the lower tension, but after a weekend of gigs with the Yamaha i was liking more. I have an intonation problem with the nickel G string, it's flat at octave G, and even with the string saddle adjusted forward it's still slightly flat. D above octave G is OK with bridge saddle forward. I know the bass is OK with other strings. Anyone else noticed this, or am I unlucky to have a duff string?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I think you got a duff string. They're great strings but I've had a couple duff D strings.

I haven't tried the SB steels but I love the nickels.

MOSCOWBASS likes this.
  8. Rich Emme

Rich Emme

Feb 26, 2014
    Arizona
    I've had to raise the action on a couple of basses with these strings to stop fret buzz, and I had them professionally set-up (at arguably the best place in town). I've achieved set-up perfection with other strings, but the SB nickels are not the best for intonation purposes. The tech was unimpressed and offered to re-string and re-setup for free if I take him other strings.

9. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    The SS version sounds amazing to me, I like them very much. I have not tried the Nickels, so I cannot compare.

On my Fender MIM Jazz I upgraded the pickups to Super 55s, and the SS Super Brights sounded huge.

10. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Forgot to ask you Jimmy, do you use the nickels with your GZR? I am not digging the Chromes I am using now - looking for something more aggressive. Good combo?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes sir. I really like the combination. I like the Geezer with Chromes too, but I prefer rounds overall. Wasn't unhappy with the XL's I was using by any means, but the SB Nickels just sort of spoke to me.