1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Dunlop Superbrights vs D'Addario Prosteels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Sep 10, 2016.

1. A few months ago I switched from my trusted DR Hi beams over to Dunlop Superbrights. Being a Marcus fan might have had something to do with it, I must admit. I initially had some issues with some poorly manufactured strings and some inconsistencies. I contacted Dunlop and they totally took care of me. Great customer service.
    Still, on my active Atelier Z 5 string I had an odd overtone on my D strings ( I tried several sets ) that wasn't there with the DRs.Not extreme but kind of annoying. I've had this bass for over 10 years and I'm really good at doing setups, so the bass was not the issue.
    I figured since I had already started to experiment with different strings, rather than just going back I would give the D'Addario Prosteels a shot. Similar price, I love them on my guitars AND they make custom sets including the option of having a tapered B string..
    I got my strings today and I just installed them. So this is maybe a bit early to say much about the strings, but the unpleasant overtone on the D string is no longer there. That's a great start. Also the D'Addario D string which is on the end of my 4+1 head stock is longer than the Dunlops, so I get the full two windings around the post that I wasn't getting before.
    And I love the clarity of the tapered B string. Tension wise there is not much difference. The Dunlops rolled underneath my fingers a little bit, the D'Addarios don't seem to do that. I don't know if one has a round core and the other a hex, but they feel different and better in that regard. At this point I think I made a good choice. So They'll be going on my other 5 string which is strung E to C next. I like a .35 C string and Dunlop does not make those which is why for that bass I still had to buy a single DR string.
    I did a search to see if anybody here had already posted a comparison of these two manufacturers but nothing turned up. Did I start a thread that hadn't been covered many times before? Is that even possible? :)

4StringTheorist likes this.
  2. I don't know about previous threads, but I've been tryin strings for an awfully long time. Short version is, my friends and I tried Dunlop strings. Most of us use D'Addario or DR, and argue vehemently, tho friendly, which are the best. Dunlop disappointed all of us. Inconsistency, short life, terrible B strings. More than one player, more than one bass, more than one style, we all agree Dunlop strings won't be on our basses. DR an D'Addario are both great companies. I prefer D'Addario ProSteels over virtually ever string on the market. Value, consistency, long life, all strings die at same rate, sound great old... list goes on. Oh, and for me, tone and output are the best with ProSteels. DR Fat Beams were always my second choice. Sometimes first for my fretless or Jazz basses. For a different feel. But, I don't enjoy the .125 B as much, and lately I've stuck with Pro or Flex Steels.

3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I've used Prosteels for years (but the bright, aggressive character of my bass with the set of pickups it has now has me pondering a switch to the XL nickels)

I love the flexibility of string gauges available at a place like Bass Strings Online. The .145 B string on my bass behaves just like the other four strings. I don't need to treat it differently.

4. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    +1 on the Dunlops. Tried to like them but they just don't do it for me. Gotta try pro steels again.

5. I played my Atelier Z with the prosteels for quite a bit today and it really sounds great now. Much better than with the Dunlops. Also I strung up my Moon JB 5 with a set of Prosteels. It had issues with the B string sounding pretty lifeless. The dunlop B sounded better than the DR and I tried 120, 125 and 130s. Ended up settling on the 125. Now with the Prosteels and a tapered B string it's perfect.
    The whole set feels a little tighter on both basses, which I don't mind. Seems like I can dig in a little harder before the strings start to buzz.
    My other basses are fine with the Dunlops but I'll still be putting an order for a bunch of prosteel sets with Jason at Bass Strings Online because over the years I have managed to collect 7 basses. Do I really need that many? Probably not, and they are all J basses too, except for one PJ. I love them all so I have to bite the bullet now. I got too exited about the Dunlops initially, I should have taken my time a bit more before jumping into Dunlop all the way.
    I guess there is something to be said for a company that has been making strings for 100 years and the Prosteels are definitely better than the Dunlops and they cost less than the DRs. So it's all good.

The Nameless likes this.
  6. Speaking of strings, D'addario an such... First, whether I use Dunlop strings or not, I admire a company tryin to give the player a value in this day an age. For some? They may be great! And maybe I've been usin ProSteels long enuff I'm just used to their performance.
    The other day a friend and I bought a few sets of D'addario FlexSteel strings on special. I had tried them before on a couple occasions, and was slightly disappointed with them when compared to my ProSteels. These sets, however, were much improved than my earlier sets. On both my American Deluxe Jazz 5, and my old Warwick Streamer Fretless 5, these strings have a great tone and slightly more flexible feel than the ProSteels, and have a unique sound in the upper mids that at the moment I am enjoying immensely. The great sound and feel of these strings is really surprising on the fretless, as DR strings have always been my choice on Warwick basses. But for me, these strings brought my bass to life. Jury is still out on longevity, sound and feel when aged, stability, etc. But, I am really liking another choice. And, on my friend's Music Man Bongo 5, they are just too much! If you like aggressive authority? Try a set of these. Strings can be a lot of fun! Heh.

7. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I had to try the Dunlop Superbrights (ss) after I saw a facebook endorsement from bassist Alissia, as well as all the noise about them here on TB. I'm lovin' these strings, especially for slap style playing. I'm normally a nickel string player mainly because they are smoother and easier on my fingers than steel. But the SBrights feel less abrasive than other steels I have tried.

8. The overtone was the Dunlop string. Had the same issues.

9. The guys at Dunlop were really nice and helpful, they sent me a bunch of sets to make it right. I feel bad about switching, but if the strings are not consistently good then I just can't use them. I have to say that I'm really happy with the prosteels that I put on my Atelier Z 5 string. I was considering selling the bass because in spite of all the modifications I made (Nordies, Noll Preamp, Hipshot bridge) it just was kind of lifeless compared to my other J basses. But now with the D'Addarios it's "zing city" and the tapered low B is exactly what I have wanted.Nice overtones and definition. Like I said, the strings feel a little tighter, I don't know if it is because of the hex core. I have a 35" 5 string bass that currently still has the Dunlops. It is strung E to C with a 2 stage Hipshot D tuner for low D and C. I can't wait to see what the prosteels do to that bass.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021