1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Ultraglide 65 String cleaner & conditioner = useless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MichiBass, Jan 11, 2017.

1. I usually play Elixir strings because I sweat a lot, but every now and then I experiment with regular nickel roundwound strings, and they usually last only 2-3 gigs in my hands.

A friend of mine recommended me the Dunlop Ultraglide 65 String cleaner & conditioner. He told me that it brings the fresh string sound back, instantly, after only one application. So I thought it is worth trying it. Bought one bottle for a few bucks.

To me surprise, it does not work AT ALL. I tried it on one bass with older Elixirs, and the sound did not change at all. I thought that it might not work on coated strings, so I tried it on another bass that had D'Addario NYXLs (3-4 gigs old, no rehearsals), and again, absolutely no change. Actually the only change I noticed is that the strings were very slippery and I had a lot of grease from the bottle on my hands and on the fretboard. But absolutely no improvement, after one and after several applications.

Did you experience the same?

I totally regret the purchase so far. Or did I do something wrong?

2. Does noone have experience with the Dunlop Ultraglide 65 String cleaner & conditioner?

3. bether

bether

Jul 22, 2015
    Brzeg, Poland
    I used it on Dunlop Super Bright strings but not so good effect because tone was like a carton. I'm using it on Fender 7250M strings and at that time tone is no changed to much but feeling is more better than new strings.

edit: It not work on coated strings definitely!

4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    It's probably snake oil.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There's no genie in that bottle. I don't think it brings back anything myself. But it does clean and slightly lube the strings. That's all I use it for. In that respect it's no different than FastFret or similar products. A bottle lasts a long time.

I find it handy for getting rid of that sticky (anti corrosion?) coating some strings seem to ship with. Also makes new flatwounds feel a little slicker. But it's nothing you absolutely need to buy. Especially if you're using coated strings.

MichiBass likes this.
  6. Do not need the lube, I hoped it brings strings back to life a bit...