1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop wah doesn't wah, advice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rojo412, Feb 10, 2021.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The parts showed up today. I ordered the caps and I also ordered the generic version of the gear pot, just in case.

To my surprise, this was the .22uf cap:

IMG_8920.jpg

Well, no harm in trying, right?

IMG_8921.jpg

Plugged it in, and IT WAHS!!!! It wahs just like I thought it would.
    So thank you for helping me fix this. The order with the extra pot was $15-ish shipped, but the parts to fix this equated to less than $1. Not bad, honestly, a working wah with extra parts for $15 and some effort.

Oh, and an extra thing (slightly related) was, I modified my DL4 with the built-in expression pot on the side. That was super easy and works well. It was a very pedal oriented day for me, I guess.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    cheapbasslovin likes this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Wow that is a big capacitor :woot:!

Right value capacitor, but you went totally overboard on the voltage rating. The circuit runs at 9V and you bought a capacitor rated for 630V. I suspect you had to ream out the holes a bit to get the leads to pass through.

But you got it working, so :thumbsup:.

Congratulations, you're super ;).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 5:11 PM
    crguti, rojo412 and cheapbasslovin like this.
  3. I'm guessing the volt rating on that cap is pretty high? Unless I'm reading it wrong I think it's a 630v cap, which may be overkill for this build ;).

Glad to hear it's working!

Edit: @Wasnex is fast.

Wasnex and rojo412 like this.
  4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    There’s too many numbers! I’m a simple caveman. These wired chicklets confuse and frighten me.

And no, didn’t ream the holes at all, fit right in.

Wasnex and cheapbasslovin like this.
  5. Congrats! :hyper:

Awesome! :bassist:

Now order some DIY treadle phaser-flanger concoction and keep going! :smug:

6. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Just saying, you probably invested more than $79 worth of time in troubleshooting and this thread. I'd have just bought a new one and been done with it. But whatever it's worth to you, I guess. Grats on the fix.

7. Ahhh but the knowledge gained... INVALUABLE!

Knowledge that can be used in future, to save time and money.

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    There's like a million different similar quotes, but Arthur Ashe is quoted as saying:
    "Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome."

Yeah, I could have bought a new one for $79... but I'm stuck in my house with nothing better to do than learning to fix, build, and modify stuff. This was WAY more fun!
    (Plus, the last thing I ordered from Sweetwater took over a month to get here, so... yeah.)

Oh, and an aside: The 630v cap was $0.77, the 100v was $1.00, so if it works (and it does), I'm okay with that.

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021