Dunwich Shalashashka?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2010P, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Does anyone know anything about the history/story of this pedal? I bought one recently and it's great, but almost nothing about it on the web save for one Pinterest post and a video that doesn't really do it much justice. What's the story with this pedal? How many were made? Is it a bass tuned Klon or just a hot rodded tube screamer?

2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
  3. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

sounds like a one-off

bassbrad and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  4. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    It's got part of the Klon drive circuit but has a boost and a 2 band active EQ. Only 1 exists.

TerribleLiar23, 2010P, Mosfed and 3 others like this.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Dibs!!!

Matt Dean likes this.
  6. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Thanks for posting that info. Very helpful.

dunwichamps likes this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Post pics!

8. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Since there's only one in the world I figure this pic will suffice. It's from Dunwich's instagram I think. dun.jpg

Sartori likes this.
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Another TBer had it a few months ago. Good find.

2010P and Sartori like this.
  10. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Yeah, I traced it back to two previous sales. I can see why a bassist would sell (has a very mid forward sound) it but I love the Klon sound so I am loving this variant. It has plenty of low end, which is what is always lacking in the normal Klon. This one has found its home.

emjazz likes this.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I also love the Klon sound. My favorite thus far has been the ARC Klone. I'm sure the Dunwich is fabulous. One previous owner I had asked about this said it was mostly a boost, with very little gain. That's pretty much what a Klon is anyway, unless you have the gain way up. That box is also reeeeeally big, right? :)

2010P likes this.
  12. dunwichamps

Jul 23, 2012
    Yea it's not a high gain type of pedal. I just built one on a personal whim but sold it off.

The EQ is an active bax. The boost is only momentary is believe but I could be wrong it's been a while.

emjazz likes this.
  13. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    The box is big (1590BB I think), but I don't play a lot of pedals at once so that's not an issue for me anyway. I think though the previous owner was wrong, respectfully said of course. It has about as much gain as any klon, but the boost ups the ante quite a bit. But as I wouldn't drive a tractor at the indy 500 I wouldn't use a Klon for high gain work. So I guess it's just a matter of expectations. Mine weren't for a high gain machine. I wanted that "transparent" sound with little hair and eq and this pedal hits those bullet points.

14. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Your memory is correct. Boost is momentary.

15. dunwichamps

Jul 23, 2012
    Pedal also converts +9V into +-16V supply, a bit more headroom then even the original.

2010P likes this.
  16. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Thanks. All great info to know. The pedal does feel wide open, which is why I love it.

Sartori likes this.
  17. dunwichamps

Jul 23, 2012
    The extra boosts the runs off an lm308n, same chip that's in an authentic RAT. Lots of fun mojo

Sartori and 2010P like this.
  18. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

What's that graphic?

19. dunwichamps

Jul 23, 2012
    It's a piece art from Metal Gear Solid 2

The name and artwork are of Revovler Ocelot, one of the characters in the story.

TerribleLiar23 and Sartori like this.
  20. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Nice

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021