1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dupli-Color or Krylon, flat or satin questions ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Painting my already black P-Bass flat or satin black and am just going to do a light sanding or 0000 steel wool to remove the glossy shine before painting.

Flat paints sometimes dont feel as smooth as satin, but I really want flat,,,, between Dupli-Color and Krylon which brand of flat feels the smooth'est ?,,, or should I just go satin instead of flat ?

How many coats should I do ?

How much drying time in between coats and drying time after last coat ?

Is there such a thing as a clear flat sealer ? ,,, if so would I need one ?

With a flat finish will I need to do a final sanding ?,,, if so what should I use ?

Any advice on painting or final sanding the neck so it feels nice and smooth ?

Should I use Krylon or Dupli-Color ?

Thanks much in advance
    CHeers
    Davyo

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I've used both with excellent results, but I was using gloss lacquer clear coat over the colors, not flat. Both buffed up nicely to a professional looking finish. But with flat, you won't be doing that, so I can't really endorse whether a spray can approach will work. Of course, the advantage with flat is that is will not show painting flaws as much.

For more details on the steps for effective painting, I'd suggest the Luthier's Corner forum here on TB.

3. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Although I don't have a flat color bass, I have painted other items. I've noticed the flat seems to absorb the oil from hands, and is hard to wipe off. I personally like Krylon Satin, FWIW. Let us know how it turns out, and what clear coat you have success with. Good luck!

X8