Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DURABLE roundwounds? i repeat DURABLE

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pesticle, Oct 8, 2002.

1. what are some brands that are known for durablility? i'm looking for some durable roundwounds. i dont have the money to replace broken strings every other month.

simple question.. simple answer?

thanks

P.S. (nickel or stainless steel are fine.. but steel would be best)

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You should try TI Powerbass strings. They are truly unique, and they last for months.

They are nickel plated steel and they only come in one gauge, but once you feel how even they are, you won't care, or notice.

I've had a set on my Curbow Petite 5 string for about 4 months, and they still sound amazing.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Word.

I've had the same set of Powerbass strings on my bass since March -- and they sound great!!

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    yep, Powerbass...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've heard very good things about the TI's and plan to get a set soon. (For what TI's cost, they sure as hell better last! ).

DR's are another brand that won't let you down - just look at their list of users. Marcus Miller uses DR's and if you've ever seen him play, you know how he tortures his strings......an extremely heavy hitter.

6. The high initial cost of TI strings is more than outweighed by their very long life. My Jazz Flats have been on for almost a year, and sound wonderful on my P. I gig 2x weekly.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Another vote for TI Powerbass. They are all I use now. Yes they are more expensive up front, but they last a lot longer than most other brands.

8. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...another vote for Ti Powerbass .

PJR

9. I have had great luck with DR Sumbeams and TI Power Bass. Both are superb. I like the TI's better on my Lakland Jazz and I like the DR's better on my Lakland 4-94 Deluxe. There you go.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When you break strings, you pluck too hard and/or there's a grate on your bridge that breaks the string.

I use Pyramid Pyrasound stainless steel roundwounds gauged .035-.095 and I haven't broken a string in years.

11. I bought two sets of TI PowerBass from the Dude a little over two months ago. Slapped on the first set... WOW! ...two weeks pass... "uh, these were supposed to last months?"

I wrote that off as the amount of times the strings were detuned and retuned while doing adjustments, so I put on the second set... WOW! two weeks pass... "uh, these were supposed to last months?"

With the second set I decided to wash (and rigorously dry!) my hands before playing each and every time... to no avail. They still were useless to me after about two weeks.

My plan is to change my bridge so I can use the SR2000s I loved so much on my old bass, but they don't work on my Rick's stock tailpiece. I'm going to try another set of RS99's though, to see how they get along with me for a second sitting.

--jeff

12. feckn_eejit, I still wish I had a good answer for you on that one. I normally kill rounds (GHS, D'Addario, Slinkys, whatever), and I'm on my second set of powerbass on my G&L in two years. I may put another set on in a month or so, but the current set is still nearly like-new. I'd say maybe it was a bad batch we got in, but I used another set out of that batch on another bass I have, and they're great as well, still got the zing. I'm at a loss, sorry
    :(

mike
    dude's roadie

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Either eejit has really acidic hands, or he is expecting the strings to do something they simply won't do.

Both sets you mention (RS99 and SR2000) are taper wound, and I know at least the RS99s are Stainless Steel. So, I'm not surprised that nickel plated non-taper strings coulnd't produce the sound you want.

What you consider a "dead" Powerbass string is probably what I consider a "great" sounding string that has settled in for the long haul. My Powerbass strings are still clear, and bright after 6 months of playing. And, I haven't wiped a string down in years. :D

Sorry the Powerbass didn't work out for you, eejit. Rotosound also makes great strings (now that they have their quality control issues solved, apparently). Dude will definitely give you a great deal on Roto's, too.

14. DR strings seems to last long. Once they've lost their initial zing, they stay crisp in a mellow way for a long time. Try to get the Fat Beams if you can. Simply great strings, which ended my string search!

And feckn_eejit, ...I just love that name! Didn't get it 'till I said it out loud! :rolleyes: Now I got friends in Scotland laughing!! :D

15. I tryed Roto's, and I did not like them. I have not tryed the Power bass ones. But I love GHS Boomers, but that is just me

16. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Dean Markley Fretmasters work great for me. They sound new for a LONG time. Of course this is all highly subjective, but I've settled in on these for a roundwound sound. The original Idea of groundwound over the frets and roundwound over the pickups works out great for me.

17. Hey guys,
    sorry for not checking back on this thread for such a long time.

I'm not expecting anything all these different sets are capable of - I like a lot of different sounds, and if I had the money I'd have a whole bunch of basses set up differently with different strings, etc etc, but since I only have one bass, I've got to figure out what my "favourite" string tone is, and stick with it.

I know the taper wounds sound totally different, I know nickel-rounds sound very different from stainless steel, and I expect this when I put these types of string on my bass, all my comments are relative to each type of string. I loved the sound of the EB344's for at least the first week of having them on. I have never killed a set so quickly though, and I had the second set on for about a month and a half - they just kept getting more dead and boomy sounding. Weird stuff, huh?

Now I've put a set of DR Hi-Beams on, the heaviest guage. WOW. I'm stupidly in love with these strings, I think this is what I was looking for all along. I don't usually play particularly hard (unless I'm playing old Rush songs...), but I really love the soudn higher tension gives me - it seems very tight and defined, there's nothing in the sound I could call floppy or boomy, whereas the low end on the EB344s was roudner and boomier. The midrange on the HiBeams kills IMO as well. Where they don't match the EB344s is in high end - the high end definition was sweet on those strings, never clanky. Additionally, they felt way smoother to play, but I prefer the higher tension feel of the Hi-Beams, even when playing lightly.

Anyway, from what I can tell, nickel-roundwounds on a Rick are simply not my bag, baby.

I've had a few different guages of Rotos on here - extra light, and standard - I've yet to try the heavier guages. I may give that a shot, but I'm just so happy with these DRs... also I noticed the DR's really are much nicer on the frets than the Rotos - I do a fair amount of note bending, and the Rotos were not kind to my frets.

Steve's deals on Rotos would be sweet if I lived in the US - but i can get a set of RS66s for $25 CDN here... the DR's are $35 or so, but they seem to be every penny.

As I said on the 'pit, I think I'd really like the EB344's on a bass with active electronics, like a StingRay or a Spector.

--jeff

18. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    DRs Hibeams...thats where its at. I wandered from brand to brand before I found those, have only bought them since.