1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Durango Dogs

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by _Franik, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. _Franik

_Franik

Apr 24, 2015
    Vacaville, CA
    So, I played in a band called Young Beard. Were based out of the east bay area and often gig in Concord, Sacramento, Davis, and SF. This particular show, which was at the Red Hat in Concord, we had a opener called Durango Dogs. This was the craziest, weirdest show I've ever seen in my life. Its one of those shows that makes you think "This is either the worst band in existence, or I'm witnessing something thats kind of amazing"
    They start by setting up their stage with a bunch of fake heads stuck on the top of rusty poles. The heads were decorated in steam punk gear like goggles and helmets. They also had skulls, Indian head garments, and candles set up too. These guys were an odd bunch. The bassist had to have been at least in his late 60s or early 70s. The guitarist/singer was probably in his early 30s and the drummer was a young guy who appeared to be a normal looking dude. The guitarist didn't wear a shirt the whole night and was really grimy and a little pudgy. His ass crack was hanging out the whole night too.
    So, they start playing their set and Its basically really sloppy punk rock with gargling vocals you couldn't understand. The guitars and amps were really low quality. Everything sounded pretty rough. But, something weird caught my eye with the bassist. He wasn't playing any notes. Instead, he was muting the strings and thumping this muted sound while sliding his hand up and down the fretboard, which gave it different pitch but still muted. He did this the exact same way for every song they played, completely ignoring the rhythm and drums. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. He didn't play one note the whole night.
    Then, the guitarist amp head (which had a really artificial sound, kind of like a digital amp) starts smoking and caught fire! The whole bar fills up with smoke and they had to stop the set and air out the room. My guitar player offered him to use his amp head which was a really nice and expensive white vintage Marshall. After he sets it up the guy gets back on the Mic and says "Alright, were Durango Dogs and we like writing about real life stuff. So this song is about buying crack off 5th avenue" Then he bends over to adjust the amp settings and his ass crack is just fully exposed in front of everyone. Then one of my guitarist yells " Yeah, its definitely about the crack" Which I thought was hilarious.
    So, They start to play the rest of their set with my guitar players Marshall head and they actually sounded WAY better. Everyone there was kind of surprised. Every song they played had a way better vibe and tone because of the Marshall head. It was like night and day. They finish their set list and my guitarist walks up to him and says "Hey man, you sounded really good through my Marshall, how'd you like it?" and the guy replies " Oh man, it was awful, I hated every minute of it. I just couldn't stand how it sounded, not my style." My guitarist looked at him in disbelief and I thought that was hilarious! So, after their set everyone was just kind of quiet and the room had this vibe like "what the F@&K was that?!" The sound guy was in disbelief, like someone just violated his ear holes. Even the owner of the bar was concerned and just wanted them to leave. It was by far the weirdest band Ive ever seen. But one thing is for sure, I will never forget... Durango Dogs.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    McG, BassCliff, grinx and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    That sounds like the greatest thing ever. I need to see if my band will let me play nothing but percussive sounds for a set. It would be awesome. I love the idea of the amp catching fire. They should have ended their set with that. It's a terrific gimmick.

McG likes this.
  3. _Franik

_Franik

Apr 24, 2015
    Vacaville, CA
    The amp caught fire on, like, the second song. Would have been even cooler if it was at the end for sure.

Wanker_Joe likes this.
  4. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    I don't know. I think ending it on the second song with an amp fire would be even more amazing. Totally take people off guard. I need to seek this band out. They sound like my kindred brothers.

5. _Franik

_Franik

Apr 24, 2015
    Vacaville, CA
    Hahaha Yeah, that would have been even better. They're based in the Bay Area. Ive never heard of them again but they do have a Facebook you can look up.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Wanker_Joe likes this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Well, hmm, I just checked out the few videos that are on YouTube, thinking that they might possibly be the second coming of The Butthole Surfers, but no. There’s a lot of goofball bands like that, I didn’t hear anything I hadn’t heard(or sometimes seen)before in almost 40 years of punk rock dive shows. Complete still whips their asses.

7. _Franik

_Franik

Apr 24, 2015
    Vacaville, CA
    Sounds like you got some years on me man. I usually don't play, listen, or go to punk shows so it was a first for me.