1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duratex Colors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gerryjazzman, Jan 14, 2012.

1. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hi all. Been using Duratex successfully for several years now and built a number of speaker cabinets using it, but I'm tired of the industrial look of black with black steel grills. I've seen some pretty sharp pictures of other folks cabinets with other colors and retro grill cloth and I thought I'd try something like this on my next build and maybe even re-do some of my previous ones.

So, I know Duratex had been available in custom colors, although I don't see any mention of it now in their site, I guess they would still do it if I contacted them. However, I don't want to order a whole gallon of one color, since I may want to try a couple of different colors. I saw somewhere on Greenboy's website about taking white Duratex to a paint store and having them tint it.

I was thinking if I got a gallon of white, I could just take a quart of it at a time to the paint store and having it colored for a particular project. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it work out? Thanks!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I haven't, but when the Duratex guy's searchbots see the name mentioned here, he'll pop in with suggestions, happens all the time. I think they were selling it in quarts or sample sizes now.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dan at Duratex is an awesome guy. If you ARE on the fEARful forum, you'll see that he's got his own space for comments and questions, might be a good place to go.

I've heard reports from guys trying the 'visit a store, have them tint' method that they got turned away at a number of places since those stores want to sell their own paint not tint yours...and/or can't guarantee the results, due to the duratex itself.

From experience I can say that Acry-Tech will do custom colors for you. The easiest way to do this is to confirm which color deck they're currently using (when I did mine, it was Sherwin Williams 6000(?) deck), and send them the number for the color they want.

I had to be even more difficult and sent them a non-standard color chip that they had to get a different base color to make up from. They did a great job.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Yep, That is what happened to me and why I have a white cab. I hit every store that sold paint around where I live and could not find anyone that would do it.

5. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, that's what I was concerned about, that paint stores won't want to color paint that you bring in yourself. I guess I'll try contacting Acrytech and find out what color deck they are using and go from there.