1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duratex Help - AKA I am STUPID

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kbakerde, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Hey guys. I am dumb, dumb, dumb and now I need your help to fix my dumbness.

I decided to resurface my vintage Bassman head and cabinet in Duratex. I got two pouches from Leland, got new corners, jack plate, new side mount handles for the head. It's all great, except for my job on the Duratex.

So I paid close attention when people were discussing the prep you needed to do, I spackled the heck out of it, sanded it nicely, I sanded out the spackle etc. the Duratex with the textured brush went on fabulously, but the first coat didn't adhere well to the spackle. No problem, coat two, went on fabulously, next day same problem. ***!!

So did some research and some of you might have guessed, I was not careful about the temperature it was exposed to. It was out in a shed overnight where the temps were well below the recommended temp for applying and drying the duratex. Well crud on me.

So I am going to move this project inside, to my basement and here is my question, can I just try to do another coat or two inside and be OK? Or would I need to completely sand it down and reapply? I am planning to bring it inside, give it a day to acclimate to the temps inside, then I have some flat black that I was going to paint over the existing Duratex to give it some cohesion, then paint the final Duratex over top of it.

Please help, save me from myself!!

2. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks Commercial User

Jan 6, 2011
    Kansas
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    You don't need to sand it all off. Scrape whatever you can get to come off easily. Then sand the cab, just taking off the texture, easing the edges where you scraped. If that's not smooth enough to hide the scraped spots, fill them with a little spackle to the level of the coating. I like to prime any filled spots with a cheap primer. Spray primer, cheap black latex, whatever I have on hand.

3. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Thanks Leland!!

4. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I wanted to post an update. First off, yesterday was much warmer than it was over the weekend. But we got some room cleaned out in the basement, and I moved my cabinets indoors. I was really afraid that the cold application was negatively affecting the quality and durability of the finish, well it was but only over spackle. I took a brush and just scrubbed the cabinet all over and just about everywhere it was spackled the Duratex flaked off of it. Everywhere else this stuff was bullet (and sandpaper) proof. I also used a space heater to increase the temperature of the room while working on it.

After scrubbing, sanding, and vacuuming the cabinet, I put on a coat of flat black to provide a good base for the Duratex. I checked on it this morning and success!!! The Paint has good adhesion, and it is not flaking off over top of the spackle. Tonight, I will put on the last coat of Duratex, should have just enough for one good coat and the last of my two sample packs will have been used up. And again, I will use my heater to boost the temperature during the drying time.

Leland, thank you for the guidance.

5. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Inexperienced and stupid are two different things.
    If you were stupid you wouldn't have asked for help and then succeeded.
    Good work.

6. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    You have a point, the stupid comes in with not reading or following directions closely. The package states the temperature recommendation.

7. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I will assume you are a guy and indicate quite clearly that you are not expected to read the directions, so you cannot be stupid. Its simply what we do.

If on the other hand, you are a chick, then you knew better didnt you!..:)