1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duratexing an Ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icke2433, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hey there guys,
    I got a wild hair and decided to strip down my old ampeg 8x10 and Duratex the monster in white. Everything was going well, (I stripped it of it's original beat to hell tolex and removing all the hardware) until I got to sanding all the glue off the cab. My question is does anyone who has used Duratex know if it'll paint fine over the little bit of glue or if it'll look funky? I don't want to go through all of the work only to have a few inches of the cab look whacked out.:meh:

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I don't think luthiers get much call for repainting fridges, and I'm not a luthier....

However, I have painted many cabs, motorcycle parts and ordinary household decorating and I do know that successful painting relies more on careful preparation than actually applying the paint. With Duratex being textured, it may be forgiving of less than perfect prep, but I wouldn't count on it.

3. repost this in AMPS forum is best bet

4. basey

basey Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Duratex won't adhere to the cab properly with adhesive on it. You can take it off with a solvent. I'm not sure which one for Ampeg Tolex glue though.
    Then you can sand the remaining stuff off with a palm or belt sander.
    BTW white Duratex takes a lot more coats than black.
    It'll probably look great with the white. You should post some pics in the amp section.

5. Sorry will do! First time poster and I thought maybe repairs would be the spot, thanks again!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sand it down until there's no trace of icky black goo whatsoever. It should look like regular untreated wood by the time you're done.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You might want to check out this thread for some pointers.

8. thanks!

9. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    That's my thread referred to above. I just did my ampeg 8x10 in July and it looks great.

You definitely want to sand it down as smooth as you can get it. All the glue has to come off. I used a belt sander for most of it, and then a small, hand sander for individual areas. I spackled areas that were uneven or have marks or grooves in the wood.

imperfections including residual glue will show up, even with a textured finish. It's really important to get it down to wood as smooth as you can get it.

Good luck

10. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    +1. The right solvent will save a lot of time. I suggest xylol/xylene or toluol/toluene. Work outdoors with a glove.

11. yeah I found that out the hard way, every small ding is showing up :| Im thinking Ill just have to suck it up and fill every thing that needs to be filled and even it all out. No use in going halfway when I've already gone this far