Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Durned Copy Protection on Beatles

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Apr 27, 2005.

1. I bought the Beatles "1" CD from Amazon, and popped it tinto the drive on the computer, since that's where I listen to a lot of my CD's.....hmmm, nothing happened. Gee, maybe CD was dirty or scratched--nope. Hmm, let's try stereo CD player, wow the CD plays fine.

Back to computer, gee other CD's play fine, but not this one. Can't even read any data off it...

After a brief search on Google, turns out they have a copy protection scheme out now that won't let an audio CD play on a CD-ROM or DVD drive. The latest versions are pretty tough to crack, I've heard of the magic marker trick or the "hold down shift key" trick.

Great, I just shelled out $13 for a CD that I can't play on my most-used CD player.....and there's no label or warning to tell the consumer about this. (Guess I'll have to hook the stereo CD player up to the computer's line in and rip rip this to MP3's the hard way). (And no I don't use Kazaa these days)...

2. return it for a refund. make your reason known to the cashier. it's the only way of sending a message to the manufacturer.

3. it's from Amazon.com so returning it's a pain....

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Hmmm...my Beatles "1" CD (that I bought at Best Buy) plays just fine in my computer's DVD rom drive.

Could it be that they changed it, or could it have something to do with the computer OS and/or the version of Windows Media Player. I think some newer versions of Media Player running on WinXP may go out on the Web and look for info about a CD that you put in the drive (to automatically get song names, etc.). You might try turning off that feature and see if that helps.

My box here at home is running Win98, I'll take the CD to work tomorrow and try it on the WinXP box and experiment with the Media Player settings.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm running XP with WMP10 that does all that and my Beatles "1" plays (and rips and burns) fine.

6. The Alpine deck that is now out of my car was very picky about what CD's it would allow me to listen to.

7. This isn't an XP or WMP issue, all other CD's play and burn fine. CDex, which normally rips everything just fine, can't do a thing with it. Windows Explorer doesn't identify any data on the CD in the drive.

Google found other complaints of Beatles (and other) CD's that have been "sabotaged" with this scheme to keep people from ripping mP3's from CD's.....

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -there is software that can be found out there that will allow you to play the CD you PURCHASED on your computer. It's technically not legal, but denying you fair use is the flip side of that coin.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    And posting a link to it on these boards is a federal felony...makes a whole f'ing lot of sense don't it?

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I did not post a link to it, I just mentioned that it existed.

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Can you say "PM"?