duRrllLgh, hOw dEw u dO 2 hnDed taPPiNg?!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright guys, here's my deal. I'm interested learning something new and exciting. I'm a bit of a rut and I need a pick me up. I haven't really explored the world of two handed tapping. I have one big problem. I have trouble seperating each side of my body. Example I can't play seperate keyboard parts (ala bassline + lead) and I can't do anything interesting with a kickdrum while playing the drums. So can anyone help me out. I know there have been threads on this before, but none of them seemed to help me out. Any sites/books/songs/etc that can help me out. Any input would be cool.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Not to be nitpicky, but that's spelled "DURRL". You can drop the last "llgh", as it adds nothing other than the impression that you're choking on your own saliva. And sorry, but I have no clue whatsover about why you would want to ask me a question about two handed tapping, as I don't normally engage in this type of activity on a regular basis. Good luck, though. :)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm new to the "nooB" language, sorry.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    1'm 13373r tH4n u r.

I don't know how serious you are being with a title like that.
    but the advice I can give you is practice REALLY REALLY REALLY slowly, learn one part at a time and learn that one part perfectly before stepping on to the next part.

if the bass plays 1-5-4-2 in the key of G# or something like that, play just that really slowly with just your left hand(or right hand depending on the situation) then on ce you feel totally comfortable with your left hand playing this bass part then work on mastering the lead part, then once you feel confidant with both parts independantly, slowly put the two together.

it took me about 2 weeks to learn "Overjoyed" this way, just takes a lot of practice and patience.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Division of attention is tough thing to do, as you've found out. The good news is you can work on it in many different ways. Here's my suggestions.

1. practice with a metronome! Just in general - there's plenty of debate over whether or not it's "good" for your "time" :) but it'll help you with attention issues as you learn to play while keeping some attention on the 'nome.

1a. odd time signatures: this will make the metronome work a little harder. You can take this quite a ways by itself - playing an eighth-note pattern in 7/8 is one thing, a sixteenth-note pattern in 13/16 another, and a syncopated riff in 13/16 with odd groupings (say, 3+3+3+2+2) even worse. :)

2. counting: this is a big one, and something that can make very experienced players crash and burn. Once you can play something along with the metronome, start counting metronome ticks while you're playing. Ideally the counting has something to do with the time signature of what you're playing, but the counting itself is where it's at here. Don't worry so much about saying the number exactly in time - just somewhere "on top of" the click is good enough.

2a. tap your foot: also try tapping your foot to the metronome clicks while playing. It's interesting to note how much different this is than counting the same beats. This might be easier for you than counting.

3. polyrhythm: learn some of the simple polyrhtyhms such as 3 v 2 and 3 v 4. You can learn them as a pattern - you don't have to be able to count 3 and 4 simultaneously to do a 3v4 rhythm. Use simple body motions at first: snap your fingers, or tap your hands against your thighs. Once you have the feel down, then you can start bringing in your attention. Count the threes. Count the fours. Alternate between the two. Switch hands. Later, you can apply this directly to the instrument by tapping the patterns with two hands. Start with one note in each hand, then move on from there. Start hearing the little snippets of polyrhythm that pop up in almost any two-part music.

That should do for a while. . .;) then again, I was in pretty much your shoes about 5 years ago when I first got my Chapman Stick. I've spent a lot of time since then on the stuff I listed above (though mostly on guitar), and I still can't play any two-handed independent parts without first figuring out each little back-and-forth. So, maybe there are faster methods.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thats great advice Geshel!!
    you just 1-upped me and then some. bravo. and thanks! that will help me some too.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    You said ANY input is cool...well....here goes:

You can diddle with that stuff all you want, but you're well-served to make sure you've mastered the concepts of good basic playing first. All the flash and 2-handed stuff in the world ain't going to get you anywhere if you can't hold a good groove, with a good tone. Take it from a guy who spent lots of time on this stuff in the '80s... I've never gotten a single paying gig from it, but my phone rings pretty regularly with gigs which only need a good, solid player who knows lots of tunes and can improvise what he's not familiar with.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree entirely! In the 80s, I dabbled with this stuff and even recorded some of my efforts; but have never found any use for it in a live band situation.

In fact there was only one occasion when I thought it might be appropriate for a fast run, but the rest of the band insisted that I sholdn't do it that way and that I should play it "properly"!! ;)
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, it's not as if the stuff I posted wouldn't also improve your ability to "hold a good steady groove". :)
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Metronomes are good :D
    I gotta get me one...I usually use the one on my digital piano, but thats not portable :D
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I need to get one of those guys. Thanks for the advice guys. My main problem so far is getting 2 things going at once.

I totally agree with you. Don't worry, two handed tapping is no major concern of me. But to keep things "fun" I figure a new technique would be cool. Plus another tool under the toolbelt can never hurt.
  12. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Progressive bass tapping technique by stephan richter.

It has mucho stuff in, from basic 'what to do, where to do', tapping arpreggios, even a few songs to try too.

OIt comes with a cd and is very good.

Ye can buy it here , but it's probably in a local store to be honest, or ebay :)
  13. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    That's a good series. Really helped me with my trumpet.
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Get some flash cards write out the permutations of basic rhythms. twice. one rhythm per card really is not that many of them.

make 2 stacks in order of complexity of rhythm.

stack 1 right hand

stack 2 left hand

it will be easy to have one hand doing simple and the other doing more difficult. start with that (remember to swich hands)

Try to get to the point where you can flip any pair card over and bust that out.

then try 2 cards........ then 3

This works really well I cant tap at all but Ive had to work ALOT on keybord in the last couple of years.

By the way this will be great for your reading.

Good luck

15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Stu Hams video has good approaches to this.

He recomends that you take your left hand, tap out a note, *for instructional purposes we'll use the key of C* then go up the fretboard and tap out a C again. Alternating between left and right hand. Then tap out D with your left hand, then a D with your right. He goes into greater detail than what I said, but what I just told you was the 1st excercise of several to the right and left hand stuff. I think its called polytonic but could be wrong.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  18. it kinda looks like you're tapping in your avatar - but i guess that's someone else's hand?

i agree, btw.
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh no it doesn't!! ;)

(You can't see my right hand - it is a music stand covering up my right side.)