Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dust collecting tool

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by learning_towalk, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I have a fairly small shop (8x10) and cleaning top to bottom every time I turn my router on is getting old...so are there any shop tools that would allow me to just turn it on and come back a few hours later and all the dust would be sucked out of my shop...I know that you can hook dust collectors up to tools, and Ihavethat on one of my sanders, and my table saw but I didn't know if they make "room" dust collectors, and if so...any suggestions on which ones are good to get?

thanks,

Tony
    www.myspace.com/tonyneely

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can get an air filter for the fine (but not too fine) dust.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    First off, let me say that I'm in no way affiliated with Delta Tools. The name just popped into my head, I swear;)

At any rate, here's a link to an example of a shop ambient air filter:

http://www.tools-plus.com/delap200.html

And here's one to a dust collector for hooking up to tools:

http://www.tools-plus.com/delap400.html

I have one of the latter, and am just blown away by how much stuff it picks up. I don't have an ambient air filter: since I'm in the garage, I have a good shop fan set up to create a cross current which blows a decent amount of stuff out of the garage door. Not foolproof by any means, but it helps.

4. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I have the delta dust collector that was mentioned in the above post. It is a powerful collector and with a down draft table, the clean will be less but it doesn't get all the pieces. I wish it did I hat ecleaning up after my router. I guess its better than using your lungs to collect the fine particles.

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Agreed. When I do any routing, I take my table, materials, and router out into the driveway and close the garage door about halfway.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Good thread. Along the same lines what resperator are you guys usnig? Any of you all have full beards? How do you handle that?

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Because of money constraints, I didn't invest in a full respirator system when I was buying tools last summer. I have one of those two-filter facemasks with the molded rubber around the nose and mouth. I figure that by summer when I'm working on new finishes I'll pick up a respirator that will protect from chemicals as well as particulate matter.

For now, I have a goatee-type thing, and must wear the mask nice and tight.

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    give everything a few hours to settle on the floor, with a robo-vac running around?

9. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I use a normal "toxic dust respirator" sold at home depot. the are a bit cumbersome but they do the job.

10. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Just grow your moustache really long and use it to filter out the big particles. Saves you money and looks stylish all at the same time!

-Nate

11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

you are a sick pup! :D

12. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    It'd be sexy and you know it! Sort of a Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters thing, and we all know he's the sexiest guy on that show (though I personally have a wicked thing for Kari).

-Nate

13. I have a built in dust collector on my Craftsman router. It's a clear plate that screws onto tht plunge base and has a small shopvac hose attachment. Works great for me!

14. I have one of those little attachments for my Craftsman router as well, but I wasn't sure how well it would work or if it'd even be worth the trouble...how well has it worked for you?

Great thread guys! keep it up!

15. Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm using a pattern cutting bit or another bearing bit, it works great because I'm not as worried about seeing the workpiece in detail. However, for finer router work (inlay, etc) I might go without.