1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dust cover repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bareass, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hey all
    i just bought a really used 71 svt 8x10 cab. but it needs some TLC!
    first order of business its got a buzz, and seems like a cone needs to be reglued. how does one go about doing this?
    next is a referb job on the tolex. 4 of the 5 sides needs to be replaced. the other side need tolex all together!! any ideas on where to get some?
    next is a neutec (think thats what they are called) jack in the back. my SVT5 only has those to use bridged
    HELP!!
    thanks in advance

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  3. i figured superglue would work. anyone else use it?
    thanks for the links.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Haha I think I saw that on one of the local craigslists. Was that the one with 7/8 original speakers minus the dust caps? If it was, that was a great price for someone willing to do the repairs.

5. not sure.
    i bought it on Kijiji which is the same as craigslist for canada. bought it in windsor.
    7/8 original speakers but the dust covers are there just one is flopping a bit

6. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Haha nope definitely not the one. I went back to try and get the picture of this thing, but it was gone already. The one I saw was selling for $275 in Providence RI, had 7 original speakers without the dust caps and one replacement speaker, replaced grill cloth, and was missing a lot of tolex.

7. WOW that is a good buy.
    i got mine for not much more then that though. the beauty of buying used is you can always sell it for the same price you bought it.
    damn thing weighs a ton though! and has no handles or wheels :meh:

8. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That one was ok for the price, but would have required just as much money in repairs/replacement parts. My drummer has an early 70s one that's got a few cosmetic blemishes (tear in the grill, some snags in the tolex) and had casters bolted onto the side which he picked up for $250. I could have shot the ba*tard when he told me he got it. I play through it everyonce in a while at practice, they're great sounding cabs. Good luck with yours.

9. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I really like using RTV Silicone gasket sealer (from the auto parts store), I've got one amp (a '72 Ampeg) that I did a speaker tear repair on over 20 years ago, and it's still holding up great. I wouldn't use super-glue because it dries so hard, and a new crack might grow on the edge of the glue, like a stress-riser, that RTV stays flexible pretty much forever.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i use glue that is specifically made for this purpose, from orange county speaker. its black, cheap, and dries pretty quick. BTW, FWIW, they told me to never use silicon glue on speaker dust covers or on any area of a speaker that needs gluing for that matter.

11. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Hmm, maybe 'silicone glue' is different? My primary tube source has been in business for 50+ years, and he's been using RTV silicone gasket sealer for a long-long time too.

12. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    He might be talking about the surround. He didn't specifically say dust cap. I've used super glue and nail polish in a pinch to fix small surround tears or separations. Super glue would probably be your best bet.