Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dust In The Wind --- and my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Feb 17, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Been thinking about this for a while. Have a QSC power amp and live in a house that collects more dust than anyplace I've ever lived in. Is there any kind of filter that can be stuck on the outside of that fan cage that will filter the dust with little or no impairment to circulation? Don't even use that amp much and the fan is half covered already with dust - and the amp stays covered when not in use.

=========================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Try a lawn mower repair shop. Explain what you're looking for and see if they have a small engine air filter that will fit (or an be cut to size). Many times these are just small pieces of foam.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, crossed my mind to jeri-rig it but these fans don't draw much and logic would tell you that QSC would have incorporated a filter (something they could sell aftermarket) if there wasn't a reason not too - like the fan's pushing limits to do it's job without adding air restriction. And the dust issue is neglible relative to overheating, one thing you definitely don't want to do with these things.

A lawnmower engine for example will draw a lot more than air than that fan. I messed with make shift speaker grill cloth a bit and was amazed at how something that struck me as sufficiently porous would just shut that speaker down.

=====================
    "The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, crossed my mind to jeri-rig it but these fans don't draw much and logic would tell you that QSC would have incorporated a filter (something they could sell aftermarket) if there wasn't a reason not too - like the fan's pushing limits to do it's job without adding air restriction. And the dust issue is neglible relative to overheating, one thing you definitely don't want to do with these things.

A lawnmower engine for example will draw a lot more than air than that fan. I messed with make shift speaker grill cloth a bit and was amazed at how something that struck me as sufficiently porous would just shut that speaker down.

=====================
    "The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Yeh, looks like progress - and cheap too! Thanks. May call QSC abthing. out the air flow

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The trick with the airflow is to clean the filter out regularly. Airflow will only be affected if you let the filter clog up with dust.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

The material itself will affect airflow, density whatever. The fact it's designed for a power amp is a good start. But yeh, a clogged filter would be worse than none at all. But I hadn't thought about a filter you clean instead of replace.

Thanks

==================

The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I appreciate the suggestion and actually hadn't expected something that would be tailor made. But I got the impression this filter was generic aftermarket even though it seemed made for QSC. I assume different fan motors in different amps pull different amounts of air depending on the needs and design of the amp. Given that, some filters may work for some amps and on other amps they may be contraindicated. I don't that know but it was just something I was going to follow up on. The one thing I know I don't want is to unwittingly add a filter that will choke down the cooling system. I was and I am going to pickup one of these filters you suggested.

As for the last line, can't remember the last time somebody called me kid.

======================

"The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player." (JRB)

9. Put a more powerful fan in it, it may be a little noisier but its would probably be worth it. Also try a vacuum cleaner repair shop, I remember having a Hoover canister vacuum that had an air intake filter and the filter media was a cheap square piece that you could cut to size. It may allow better airflow as well.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Maybe a little sarcasm isn't such a bad thing. Motivated me to jump on this sooner than I probably would.

Called QSC and the tech said as long as the amps not being pushed it should be no problem. The implication being that if you're going to be in a hot environment with the pedal to the floor, it would be prudent to remove the filter for the time being.

Thanks and hope this post helped some other QSC owners.

====================

11. I know its not the cheapest way to go but you may want to invest in an home air cleaner unit for the room(s) you play or live in. You will notice a bigi difference in the dust levels and you will be able to breath alot better and feel better to boot.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Bump.......I wanna know what Bob Lee has to say about this option.

-Mike

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Some things about fan filters:

In a QSC amp, nearly all of the dust that blows in from the back blows out through the front. With a filter in place over the fan, nearly all of the dust entering the filter stays in the filter, gradually restricting the flow of air.

That's not to say that filters are bad--just that the more they do their job, the worse the cooling becomes. Therefore, a neglected filter is far worse than none at all. Another major amp company, where I worked before coming to QSC, put filters on their fans, and many of the amps that came in for service had filters that were so clogged they were downright furry.

Filters, unless they're very easy to get at, are easy things to forget about. If you can filter the air going into the back of the rack, using, for example, a large rack-mount panel with an easily accessible filter element, the amp's cooling and operation may be much more reliable.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Awesome.....thanks for the reply Bob.

I used to repair hot tubs, and the biggest problem I dealt with always seemed to be clogged filters. Without fail, the homeowner would always say "ohhhhh, I forgot all about cleaning the filter". $65 later, I replaced the $12 filter.

-Mike

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Appreciate the feedback Bob. The tech I spoke with qualified that the filter must be maintained. The amp is my home rig and is not in a rack. One thing I was going to do before installing the filter recommended in a previous post (which I did order -w/shipping cost 3 x's that of the filter I might ad) was pull the cover and see if the dust was collecting in the guts as on the fan. If so, blow it out and it'd also function in part as a baseline as to whether the filter worked. As long as a clean filter will not cause the unit to overheat, I'm not concerned. It will be kept clean.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here we have ANOTHER satisfied TB customer. Excellent!

-Mike

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Just as a followup,

Pulled the lid on the QSC and there was no dust in the housing. The fan port looks like an enclosed tunnel that runs 80% the length of the unit. Never pried the lid off one of these before but I expected it to pretty much just be open. There were a few cobwebs in the corners but the interior of the amp was essentially spotless.

The filter is supposed to arrive today. The fan grill screws also attatch the fan housing to the amp, they don't just hold the grill cover on. So if anybody does this they may want to just remove 3 of the screws and loosen the 4th and let the grill swing down and use one of the other screws to put the first screw in the new grill. It looks you'd have no problem manipulating the fan to restart screws but you might run into to some unecessary grief.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Clogged filters in hot tubs....YUK!!!!! MJ5150 did you wear a HazMat suit?

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I can't tell from your profile what kind of
    climate you live in, but if you use forced air in your
    house for either air-conditioning or heating, check the
    filters in the intake of the heating/cooling unit regularly.

Also be sure there are some ... ;)

That much dust can be cut back with a little
    system maintenance.

20. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, heatpump. Outside Charlotte (we almost won - but not a bad football team for a bunch of Nascar drivers).

Filter gets changed monthly without fail. Who knows? It's not like the air is full of dust around here. Lots of trees and it's unusual for the wind to kick up. I've spent winters in Key West where the wind blows 10-15 knots most of the time and you don't have the dust like this.