Dusted off my old electric guitar...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Jan 19, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    ... which I hadn't touched since I got my first gig as a bass player 9 years ago and as I started out on acoustic guitar and recently acquired decent pick skills, I can now actually play the thing! I simply plugged it into my bass amp (don't own a guitar amp at the moment), plugged it into my Zoom B2, dialed in some distortion and "rocked" away! :D

I made several observations:

It's almost criminal how easy those things are to play, I had the feeling it required no strength whatsoever, particularly when I was trying to play lines on the higher strings. Granted, I had a luthier set the thing up a while ago as I was planning to sell it on ebay, but still, it was almost ridiculous!

I also now understand why guitarists love to downtune as it means their axes get even easier to play and fret buzz is absolutely no issue given how light your attack needs to be to get a decent tone. I also like the snarl of a detuned E string.

I also concluded that the electric guitar is probably the easiest way to allow you to make lots and lots of noise. And people say bass is easy! :bassist:
    Furthermore, I noticed that playing guitar slung low is a lot easier than bass due to the short neck and fingerboard.

In conclusion: I decided I ain't selling this thing but rather keep it to use it for recording as I recently acquired a small recording setup.
    It's a Hohner Les Paul copy, but it seems pretty decent overall, I like the sound and playability and the hardware and the tuners seem to be of high quality. The only thing I dislike is the heaviness and the fact that the bottom of the body is shaped like a damn brick. I still prefer my basses, though. :p

Anyone else who has some guitar skills feel the same way about the electric six-string?
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I like guitar. It is fun to play. I have my "rig" set up downstairs so I can watch TV and play at the same time.
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I somewhat agree with what you're saying but I still consider guitar as difficult to learn as bass because of all the extra mechanics you have to learn (chords, sweep picking, etc.).

I bought an acoustic a few months ago after playing only bass for 4 years. The first thing I was struck by was how impressive my noodling around sounded on it.

mediocre noodling on bass: :meh:

mediocre noodling on guitar: :eek:

The lesson I learned from this was the guitarists I know aren't as godly talented as I thought they were. Also guitar is alot less dry to play by yourself than bass.
  4. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Is it just me, or are bends stupidly easy to do for a bassist playing guitar? I have friends who have been playing guitar for several years now who can't do Zakk Wylde stylee bends... When I bend on a guitar it just feels so easy, there's no resistance. Things like chords etc are IMO easier to play than something like, say, a ska bassline. My main problem with guitar is palm muting... on my guitar anyway (A Jackson) I always feel the need to rest my palm on the bridge, which pushes down (being a floyd rose) so when I palm my guitar detunes until I stop palming... Infuriating indeed. But anyways! I find guitar easy to rock out - It takes a lot to get into a "groove" with a bassline - I find I need to find inspiration, warm up, get a drumbeat going etc... But it's so easy to "rock out" on guitar... Pick it up, bridge pickup, Marshall valve amp, crunchy OD... Low slung strap, and play some ACDC :bassist:
    When I play guitar though, I always feel like a bassist playing guitar. We all know that's a good thing though :cool:
  5. Maybe I just don't mess around with guitar enough, but I cannot play chords at all in anything approaching an uptempo song.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, hooray for powerchords for the likes of us nubs.

Maybe it was a bad idea to start on a LP copy...those things are heavy. Bassy as all heck though, gootta love Agile.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I still play both, so I never noticed a drastic difference in my playing because it was so gradual. I like palying both. The Guitar gets bashed a little much around hear and there are a lot of us that play both.
    Like I said in another post, JPJ plays both and more, Sir Paul plays both and more, Jimmy Page played Bass w/ the Yardbirds and Ronnie Wood played Bass w/ The Jeff Beck Group. I'm sure the list goes on. Todd Rundgren palys everything. Zappa......
  8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I wish I could play the guitar, but I keep muting the strings while doing chords. But I can rock out without doing too many chords, just playing note after note like bass...
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No pics no guitar.:smug:
  10. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    How many do you want? I've been playing (and collecting) guitars for 30 years. Collection is down to around twenty now (from a high of thirty three a couple of years ago, when I started selling off guitars and buying basses ;) ).

Not a bad idea for a thread - The Guitars of TalkBass
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There was a very recent thread.

My comment was directed to the original poster. I want to see the specific guitar this thread is about!