1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dusted off the old Vice City over the weekend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basscooker, Jan 23, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Got a little bored and played some GTA sunday. Got me thinking. Did you ever make up your own games with your freinds like..."how long can you go with four stars on foot without cheats" , or challenge each other for "cleaner" completions of the same mission? what sorts of versus games can you come up with for it?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    We use to go to the top of the mountain in San Andreas with the dirt bike to see who could do the most flips or the coolest tricks off of it.

3. I never played GTA. I did try it, but didn't care for it.
    I did play Porsche Unleashed though, and we had a sub game called "hide and seek".

4. Not played Vice City in a while. Amazing game tho!

We didn't really do little games like that, but me and some friends downloaded a mod that let you play each other online, that was fun and just utter nonsense :D

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I've been playing Minecraft with coworkers for some time. Since it is a game with no set goal, yes, we set ourselves challenges all the time :)

6. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
  7. Sadly, probably for more than they should be.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I recently dusted offf GTA III, but being the first in that platform, its not as good as the others.
    I used to play a game called Go, or it could be called Havoc. Full weapons cheat on, and just Go. Cause as much destruction, mayhem, havoc as you can until you get caught or die, then pass it on to the next player.
    GTA 4 made this game even more fun, with various weapons that can be used from vehicles, like grenades.

9. Me and a couple of buds had a couple things we'd compete on in GTA III and VC, like who could fly the Dodo the longest in III or who could pull of the longest stoppie in VC. Also loved searching out and messing with cool glitches in both games.

10. I've only had a chance to play IV a handful of times at a buddies house, but he was a total d-bag and made us do those crappy relationship missions (go to the bar with Roman, etc etc) getting all hissy if were to say, veer off a ledge into a giant group of people. :spit:

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The capacity for mayhem/havoc in GTA4 is pretty awesome. The relationship missions were never my favorite, though.

12. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    My record (GTASA) for longest time with five stars is something like 5:18. No cheats whatsoever. And about the last two minutes of that was with six stars, but it doesn't list that. I'm a one-man death squad!

One of the games I used to play in Vice City was something I called "piracy". What I'd do is put on the "vehicles drive on water" cheat and slam a car into the back of a fishing boat off the coast, then get out of the car and hopefully land on the deck of the boat instead of the water. Then I'd shoot the terrified man who was driving the boat and take off to go look for trouble. When I saw a bigger boat than the one I had, I'd use the sniper rifle to shoot the driver of the other boat and then go try to board it (this is where the fun comes in since you die if you fall overboard). Unfortunately, once you have the biggest boat the game offers, there's nothing left to do, so I'd usually beach the thing and find something else to do.....

Like "robbery spree". This is where you go up to the mall and try to rob every single rob-able store while working your way south. If you can do that with the cops chasing you and manage to get in a car and go to a paint shop after you've hit 'em all, you're a BOSS!

13. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Me too. I'll need to purchase a new gaming system in order to play it. Any word on a release date?

15. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    As much as I wanted to get a new console to play 4 and as much as I'd still love to do that and then play 5, I cannot devote that much of my time to GTA anymore. :( I get waaaaay too addicted to these games.

If the hours of gameplay on Vice and S.A. were all tallied, I probably lost something like a year and a half of my life.....

I could have been playing music. :scowl: :meh:

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I get really addicted to them as well, but then life tends to pull me away. I dont have as much free time to myself, and my wife wouldnt want to watch me play all day. Id get maybe an hour to 3 hours a week tops.
    I didnt have a system when GTA4 came out. I was still with my first wife then, and I borrowed her sisters PS3. We split up and I held onto the PS3 until after I beat the game.

17. I need to have another bash at GTA IV, I just never really got into it before. Loved the original 2, VC and SA, was never a huge fan of III and IV, well, IV was just too sensible for the duration that I played it :p