Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dustin Hoffman speaks against war at Berlinale festival

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    see, isn't that what's great about the u.s.? i wonder how many iraqi's say that about saddam?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    and live to tell the tale.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But hopefully, this will convince people that you can be anti-war and not necessarily anti-American!

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    They only say it once

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    WAR? What war?

It continues to be promoted as if the US or G. Bush is going to war with Iraq.

1 - there is a current cease-fire, implemented in '91, that Iraq has violated. The action in '91 was approved by the UN. The "war" is still on.

2 - This is not, as der Spiegel characterises it, den Krieg der USA gegen den Irak or the U.S.'s war against Iraq. There are over 40 other UN members supporting direct action against Saddam's regime in order to enforce existing resolutions. That's not the U.S.'s war against Iraq.

3 - what do these folks really know, really know about foreign policy? Why didn't they care when we were bombing innocent Serbs and Somalis?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Any war!!

Why not just be anti-war, full-stop?

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    We can split hairs about semantics all day long, but it's not really the issue, is it?

U.S. governments used to be quite lax in the use of the word "war" too - e.g. war on drugs.

Or take a look at CNN, they call it war too.

Even GWB does it:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/10/20021007-8.html

11. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I'm so glad i VOTED for Bush, Senators Hutchinson and Cornyn, and Congressman Johnson to represent my state and district in Washington...

Whereas I can't even remember the last MOVIE I saw Hoffman in.

Why in the world should international policy be gleaned from an actor, musician, basketball player etc... even if I agreed with them, their opinion is still relagated to that of someone who has little more than an opinion based on the same information I have been presented... and of whom I disagree with.

I'm honestly glad DH has the right to speak as he feels. I'm equally glad he's and actor and not a leader in the government.

12. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
  13. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
  14. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just wanted to pass on information, since the major online media like CNN don't report on it at all.

15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  16. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I just wanted to point out information that no one had reported.

Maybe CNN didn't report Hoffman etc because it means exactly the same as any other single citizen exercizing their first amendment right. The Maine house means little more than the indivdual state congressmen pandering to their constiuants.

News by defination is 1) timely 2 ) relevent 4) factual events and/or 3) unique occurance

Exercise of right to free speech is none of the above; the absence of that right however would be news.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Again...a misleading representation.

Did you not expect someone would actually read what you attached? Or maybe we would just take your word for it...

GO ahead and search this text for any reference to the US going to war, being at war, waging war, etc, with Iraq as it pertains to the current situation. The only references to WAR are - the war on Terror, the Cold War, World War, The Persian Gulf War, war criminals, and nuclear holy warriors:

18. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wanted to show that GWB uses the term war quite loosely ("war on terror"), no misleading there, I'm afraid.

19. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    True, but frankly that's never really been the issue.

A democracy DEPENDS on intelligent, thoughtful counter-opinion.

Unfortunately, nothing coming from the antiwar side of the discussion is either thoughtful or intelligent -- it's one long string of insipid one-liners and bumperstickers.

"There's no proof"

Please, there's loads of proof that Iraq has tons (literally) of biological and chemical weapons -- they had them in the mid-90s (confirmed by the U.N.) and now refuse to say where they are.

"We should wait"

We waited for World War II. And by the time we got in, Germany and Italy had rolled up most of Europe and North Africa, Japan had rolled up large portions of Asia, and our Pacific fleet was virtually destroyed.

The result was more than 41 million people dead.

Wait for what? For Saddam to start dispatching suitcase full of nerve agents and bacteria to New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, Vienna..., with the result being possibly HUNDREDS of millions dead?

"Saddam doesn't pose an immediate threat."

Saddam has always posed a threat -- to his own people and the world for years. He murders he own citizens, he supports international terrorism and he attacks his neighbors.

"Innocent Iraqi civilians will be killed."

Whenever a tryant threatens the world, innocent people get hurt. The longer you wait, the more innocent people -- of many nations -- will get hurt.

Really, if anyone opposed to the conflict has a serious alternative that will solve the problem (that means disarming Saddam before we have a freakin' disaster on our hands), I'd love to hear it.

But so far, all we've heard the same old tired inananities.

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"I'm not anti-american, but I'm against the viewpoints of the present administration [..]" Dustin Hoffman"

I always think the insights of people whose livelihoods depend on playing "make believe" are the most credible, especially with all the intelligence intercepts Hollywood studios have at their disposal :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear the opinion of Bugs Bunny. He and Daffy Duck will know the real story about what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.