Dusty Hill's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tater tot, Jan 24, 2005.

1. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    I wasn't sure if this was the right section, but it seemed like the best. Does anyone know what kind of bass Dusty plays? I've been looking around but I can't get s strait answer.
  2. There was a short article on him in Bassplayer a couple few years ago; at that time, he played a custom Bolin w/a 30" scale. This was long enough ago that Bolin was not very well known (at least not by me).
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd just like to say that I love Dusty.
  4. I know he also plays a Fender P, first generation (pre-1957 style). I'd like to know more about his furry bass though!
  5. I've also seen him play a red Explorer shaped bass on stage (a Dean, if I remember correctly).
  6. +1 'twas a Dean
  7. nemo

Mar 19, 2004

Interview with Dean Zelinsky:
    "Tell me about those whit furry Dean guitars in ZZ Top's "Legs" video -- the ones that spun around 360s on their belts.

That's real sheepskin on those guitars! Billy Gibbons was at a party with Def Leppard in London, and he called me at like two in the morning. Billy said he was shipping me some sheepskins and he wanted them on a Dean guitar! So I said fine, and a week later the sheepskins show up at my factory, and I made a guitar and a bass. We used a horse-hair trimmer -- I was dating a girl who trained horses at the time -- and we trimmed the sheepskin under the strings. Then Billy and (ZZ Top bassist) Dusty Hill wanted the spinning units on them. I never knew hat set of guitars would become so famous."

8. This is what he was playing when I shot their concert.

9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Furry Bass = The Shiz'
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Awesome! Looks like an early 50's Precision bass.