1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dutch TBers, can you explain something please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 24, 2006.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Random, but I believe someone on TB can help me out. My wife and I got a gift from a friend who was recently in Holland:

[​IMG]

De Ruyter Muisjes in pink and white...We had a baby girl 4 months ago and I understand this is a traditional gift.

Am I supposed to spread the candy on toast? The little things go all over the place, except staying on the toast. Am I supposed to bake it with the toast in a toaster oven? Use butter? I'm at a loss here. :confused: :help:

I'm not a huge fan of things flavored like anise, but I'm trying to give this a try for the experience. Do Dutch people actually eat this or is something for tourists?

Marshall

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    No idea but congrads.

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks.

M

4. hey congrats

you put some butter underneath and then sprinkle it, you have to put it on 'beschuit' actually, don't know if you have that where you live
    [​IMG]

it's basically thick toast.
    Also, people eat it over here, but it's not as popular as the chocolate flakes or chips or whatever
    hagelslag.

so bit of butter underneath, then eat, and yes, some muisjes wil still fall off, but not as much.

oh "muisjes" actually means 'little mice'

5. Man, that last pic looks like there are maggots or larvae all over the bread. Gross!!:spit:

Wait, that's chocolate?

Rock on
    Eric

6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Chocolate would be good!

In any case, it beats vegemite.

Thanks Atef.

Marshall

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Aaaah, muizenstronten, ok, now we're talkin'.

Well, the pink stuff doesn't look like anything I'd put on my bread, but it can be used on icecream as well.