1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DVD´s of Ray Brown

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Dick Them, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Endorsing Artist : Ampeg amplifiers
    :help: Hi there, does anybody know if there are DVD´s of Ray Brown ? Thanks in advance for your answers,

Dick

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are some things I've seen advertised in DOUBLE BASSIST magazine. A friend of mine just loaned me a video tape of something called MIDNIGHT SESSIONS that is Milt Jackson, Cedar Walton, Ray and Mickey Roker, looks like it was shot in a studio with no audience. Ray's playing pretty nice on that.

3. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Thank you, any idea of where I could buy this DVD ?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, I would look in DOUBLE BASSIST magazine for the DVDs advertised there. There are 4, one features Ray.

The other thing, as I said, I saw on VHS. Which is not a DVD. So I don't know where to buy a DVD of that. Or if a DVD of that was made. Any of this any clearer?

5. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Thanks,Ed, I´ll check in "Double Bassist".Greetings from Barcelona.Adeu, :cool:

Dick

6. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Unfortunately there is no DVD category in the shop of
    " Double Bassist ". Are DVDs not very common in the U.S.A.?
    Dick

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    No they are not. In fact, I have no idea what you are referring to when you use the intials DVD.
    The US is so technologically backward that it has taken quite some time for these TV/typewriter things to catch on.

8. Ed, you are yankin' my giggle chain :D

9. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Ed,
    my english is not good enough to notice if you are being cinical or serious.My question was serious, I know there are some different systems in the USA ,like VHS which is different in Europe ( I´m writing from Spain ).That´s why I ask if DVD is not common in your country. I have no idea.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Sigh.

It's not that the PACKAGE is different, it's that the systems are different. NTSC/PAL. Right? So my Spanish is not so good and I can't tell if you are being serious or a moron when you say things like "Don't they have DVDs in the States?"

What I am mostly trying to say is get off your orotund posterior, stop typing on the TV/typewriter thingie and actually go out and pick up a copy of DOUBLE BASSIST magazine. Cause there's LOTS of stuff in there that they don't list on their website.

Or send me a Euro and I'll photocopy the page and hold it up to the screen.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

JazzWise magazine in the UK sells a lot of Jazz DVDs which work in Europe.

If you look at the complete listing, I'm sure some of those must have Ray Brown on them?

http://www.jazzwise.com/shop/

12. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Hello,Ed,
    I have never said : " don´t they have DVDs in the States" , but : " are DVDs not common in the States ", which is very ,very different.Before patronizing and being so defensive you should read correctly what you are critizicing.I admire a lot of things from the United States, but deffinitely not attitudes like yours- first shoot and then ask, he !!??

13. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    :hyper: