Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVD´s of Ray Brown

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Dick Them, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Endorsing Artist : Ampeg amplifiers
    :help: Hi there, does anybody know if there are DVD´s of Ray Brown ? Thanks in advance for your answers,

Dick

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are some things I've seen advertised in DOUBLE BASSIST magazine. A friend of mine just loaned me a video tape of something called MIDNIGHT SESSIONS that is Milt Jackson, Cedar Walton, Ray and Mickey Roker, looks like it was shot in a studio with no audience. Ray's playing pretty nice on that.

3. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Thank you, any idea of where I could buy this DVD ?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, I would look in DOUBLE BASSIST magazine for the DVDs advertised there. There are 4, one features Ray.

The other thing, as I said, I saw on VHS. Which is not a DVD. So I don't know where to buy a DVD of that. Or if a DVD of that was made. Any of this any clearer?

5. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Thanks,Ed, I´ll check in "Double Bassist".Greetings from Barcelona.Adeu, :cool:

Dick

6. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Unfortunately there is no DVD category in the shop of
    " Double Bassist ". Are DVDs not very common in the U.S.A.?
    Dick

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    No they are not. In fact, I have no idea what you are referring to when you use the intials DVD.
    The US is so technologically backward that it has taken quite some time for these TV/typewriter things to catch on.

8. Ed, you are yankin' my giggle chain :D

9. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Ed,
    my english is not good enough to notice if you are being cinical or serious.My question was serious, I know there are some different systems in the USA ,like VHS which is different in Europe ( I´m writing from Spain ).That´s why I ask if DVD is not common in your country. I have no idea.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Sigh.

It's not that the PACKAGE is different, it's that the systems are different. NTSC/PAL. Right? So my Spanish is not so good and I can't tell if you are being serious or a moron when you say things like "Don't they have DVDs in the States?"

What I am mostly trying to say is get off your orotund posterior, stop typing on the TV/typewriter thingie and actually go out and pick up a copy of DOUBLE BASSIST magazine. Cause there's LOTS of stuff in there that they don't list on their website.

Or send me a Euro and I'll photocopy the page and hold it up to the screen.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

JazzWise magazine in the UK sells a lot of Jazz DVDs which work in Europe.

If you look at the complete listing, I'm sure some of those must have Ray Brown on them?

http://www.jazzwise.com/shop/

12. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Hello,Ed,
    I have never said : " don´t they have DVDs in the States" , but : " are DVDs not common in the States ", which is very ,very different.Before patronizing and being so defensive you should read correctly what you are critizicing.I admire a lot of things from the United States, but deffinitely not attitudes like yours- first shoot and then ask, he !!??

13. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    :hyper: