Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVD audio burned to CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassmandavey, Feb 24, 2004.

1. bassmandavey

bassmandavey

Aug 29, 2001
    Have you guys heard the Joe Satriani :cool: DVD? The audio recording is most excellent. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can rip just the audio off the disc. If you explore the disc there are no tracks in the audio folder (its empty) I guess the video/audio come on one huge file. Any software that would split this up with a quickness would help me out.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You could probably do it if you had a DVD burner and corresponding software...but I could be wrong, I've never tried.

There are DVD ripping tools out there, I don't know any windows ones, but on the Mac it's OSeX, handbreak, mencoder and a few others.

edit: sorry, I thought you were talking about an audio DVD.

yeah, just get some DVD ripping software, check out www.versiontracker.com they should have some.

edit: once you get the raw audio track, you will likely need to convert it to .aif, now before you compress(if you plan to) make sure your burning Software can insert track breaks to separate the one master audio track, though many(most) DVDs have 'tracks' for the audio, once you get a DVD ripper, it should have hte option to just extract the audio tracks.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm fairly certain that there's no way to "rip" DVD-Audio at all. Plenty of ripping tools to rip DVD-Video but no way to do it with DVD-Audio. Not 100% sure. Ask at www.dvdrhelp.com they know their stuff there. :bassist:

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I've been wanting to do this w/ the Rush in Rio and Tool: Salival discs that I have lying around.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually, it's not problem, e.g. with Virtualdub, you can extract the audio track and then you need to resample it to 44.1kHz/16 bit, e.g. with ssrc or besweet.
    In fact you need to do that when you rip a dvd, because you need to compress the audio track too.

http://www.doom9.org/faqs.htm has some faqs with the needed info buried in there.

I did it some time ago, but I can't remember how exactly. It was fairly easy, it just takes some time.

From the audio FAQ:

EDIT: I found the guides

http://www.doom9.org/virtualdub_procedures.htm

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    OK, I guess I was confused. I'm not talking about a DVD-Video like a concert video. I'm talking about the DVD-Audio format , that's what I thought this thread was about.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany