Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dvd music to audio-cd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bas_anton, May 13, 2003.

1. I got the steely dan Two against nature dvd. I really likes this concert (Tom Barney is a baaaad bassplayer). I want to burn the audio files to a cd so I can listen to the concert on a cd player.
    How do I do it?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There's a couple of ways to do this and here's one:

Just route the stereo output of the DVD player to the stereo input of the recording device you want to use.

Want to make a digital copy? You need a DVD with a digital out and a recording device with a digital in. The problem is that the DVD probably has copy protection bits embedded in the stream so that the recording device, we're assuming run of the mill consumer variety, will not record the stream. Pro digital recording equipment doesn't have this limitation nor does something like the Nomad Jukebox.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Phil,

I was just about to ask the corollary question.
    How do I get the cassettes or 1/4" reel to reel tapes from that format to burn onto a CD?
    Has regular stereo amp output available.

And turn into a MP3 instead of a .wav ?

OG

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You need to take the stereo output and send it to a device that's going to record digitally which can be a sound card, MD recorder, DAT or similar device. If you go to a sound card, there is software that will allow you to record as WAV, MP3, or WMA. I've used a MD recorder because I have a MD deck and a Audio CD burner, but these days I use a Nomad Jukebox that has the ability to record analog and digital input to WAV or MP3. Once recorded I simply upload the resulting file to my PC using a firewire connection and then burn to CD.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks,

Off to check the capabilities of the sound card, which came with my Acer computer, and the Easy CD creator program, which never seemed to work well. With a few Radio Shack adapters I can make an input connection, but I'm checking out this other stuff you mentioned. I would prefer to assemble the file at the stereo source and upload later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

OG