DVD of DB players?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Steve Clark, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I watched a show on Cool TV, a Canadian cable show, and saw Ron Carter at Sweet Basil from around 1992. Its was truly insiprational to hear and see his playing.

What is out there in the DVD world to see the great DB players? Any recommendations.
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The JAZZ CASUAL series is available through Rounder; it's from a TV series in the early 60s( late 50s?) and has Trane w/Jimmy Garrison, Sonny w/Bob Cranshaw, Diz w/Chris White, Art Farmer w/Steve Swallow (yes, on upright!) and many others. There's some film floating around that has the Ahmad Jamal trio w/ Israel and Vernel plus the Ben Webster sextet w/ George Duvivier. Let's see, what else? VIEW Video has some post 60s video of a variety of players (I saw and Art Farmer Quartet performance at the Smithsonian that had Fred Hersch, Dennis Irwin and Billy Hart).
    You might want to search the website for both the Museum of Film and Broadcasting and the Institute for Jazz Studies for lists of things that might be commercially available.
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Is any Scotty LaFaro footage on DVD yet?

If you like Mingus, you can track down "Mingus", "Triumph of the Underdog [documentary]", and the 1964 Oslo Show.
  4. lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Within the last three months, I've picked up two DVDs: Norman Granz - Jazz in Montreux from the 1977 festival.

One is "Oscar Peterson Trio '77" but its not the usual trio. The trio is OP, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen and Ray Brown. Very interesting recording and showcases each of the bassists' styles with Oscar. There's an interview with Niels which has some interesting remarks about he and RB working together with Oscar. The interview was done after Ray's passing.

The other DVD is "Milt Jackson & Ray Brown '77" which also has Monty Alexander, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis and Clark Terry. Great performances and a commentary by Nat Hentoff.

I can't help but get the feeling that there's a ton of recorded video material just sitting in some vault somewhere. Every once-in-awhile a story comes out of recorded material locked away but not yet released (makes me wonder what the keepers of the material are waiting for).

A couple others I picked up over a year ago was "Dizzy's Dream Band" with George Duvivier and other great players. The other is a Jazz Scene USA DVD of performances, with Steve Allen the executive producer, of Cannonball Adderley's Sextet with Sam Jones of Teddy Edwards Sextet with Stan Gilbert on bass.

Doing a search on amazon for "norman granz jazz in montreux" brings up a number of DVD's available on other bands from the 1977 and 1975 festivals. There's also a couple of Ron Carter with Herbie Hancock on one DVD and with Art Farmer on the other.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got a DVD of Freddie Hubbard live at the Village Vanguard - which also has Ron Carter and there's some close up shots of interesting techniques he uses in solos - still not sure what he's doing!! ;)

There's also the Rufus Reid Evolving Bassist DVD, which allows you to see very clearly how Rufus plays in a trio setting as well as on his own. :)
  6. Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    There's a very well recorded and shot DVD of Kenny Drew with NHOP and Alvin Queen from 1992 'Live at the Brewhouse'. NHOPs playing is amazing as usual...you can see his 3 finger technique in full effect...what a loss... :crying:

Patitucci's DB DVD (available from David Gage) has low production values but is full of good stuff from JP.