DVD Player Into Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruce Sproston, Jul 17, 2005.

1. My bass guitar has active pickups & I just bought a Yorkville Amp that has both active & passive imputs but no imputs for a dvd player. I want to plug my DVD player into my amp so I can play along to some of my favourite tunes.Can I get away with plugging the dvd player into a Y connector from Radio Shack (about $ 7) and plugging that into the passive amp imput & the guitar into the active amp imput? A Yorkville rep told me that I should plug my guitar & dvd player into a mini-mixer (about $ 40) and then run a cord from the mini-mixer into the active amp imput? Can anyone advise me which is the best way to go? I don't want to spend money on something that's not really necessary. Tks!
  2. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    ughhh....does your amp have a screen in it?

Becuase unless you pimped you amp (I want that to replace pimp my ride) you cant watch dvd's through you amp.

If you mean a cd players or mp3 player...im pretty sure you can get a 1/8" to 1/4" Cable and plug the 1/4" into the input and than the 1/8" into your cd player.
  3. Sorry! My 1st posting should have read "CD Player into Amp" not DVD Player. I'm concerned that if I do use a "Y" connector, I could damage my cd player or amp. I'm not any kind of expert on electronics so I appreciate any help.Tks
  4. Watch the volume. What I am saying is start at 0 & SLOWLY turn it up. Have whatever the player input is plugged into (active) down low. It will be ok.

Edit. Plug your bass into active & plug the cd into passive but LOW volume. You can't compete with the cd on a Y cord
  5. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Congratulations on your new amp - made in Trawna, eh! Does the Yorkville have an effects loop with Send / Return jacks? Depending on the output of your CD player, you may want to bypass the pre-amp stage.
  6. You CAN do it safely but you might have trouble mixing the bass guitar output with the CD player. At higher volume levels the sound will probably suck.

Both potential problems would be solved with the cheap mixer that was suggested to you.

Give it a shot. There's nothing wrong with it.
  7. It's the Yorkville BassMaster XM200C amp that I bought and it's in transit, somewhere between Toronto and the retailer's store in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, BC. According to the manual (www.yorkville.com),the amp has an effects loup with send and return jacks.
  8. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah but I still like my idea, of sending an 810 to that pimp my ride place, and all they would do is take out some of the speakers and replace them with TV's or something. And than make the sides out of the new flatscreen TV's. My god thats all the ever put into cars.
  9. If I understand the question correctly, you want to plug a CD player into a 1/4" instrument input jack on your bass amp.

A CD player is a low-impedance device, and the input to your bass amp is high impedance. For about $15 you can purchase a microphone accessory transformer to handle the impedance matching issue. The transformer accepts an XLR mic cable connection on one end, and provides a male 1/4" unbalanced connector that plugs into your amp.

You will have to build/purchase a cable that is RCA-male for the CD player, and XLR-male for the transformer. You could probably wire Left and Right together for a Mono input to the bass amp. Otherwise, you will only get one channel, or will have to use two transformers, one each for Left and Right, plus two input jacks on your bass amp.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I thought that "impedance mismatch" is actually what you want here.

AFAIK the rule of thumb is that the input impedance of the (pre)amp should be at least ten times the signal impedance or you experience loss of highs.