DVD regions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. I recently bought the Muse: Absolution Tour DVD from a music store in Ireland. When I recieved it, I noticed that it wouldn't play in any of my DVD players. Being the fool that I am, I forgot that DVD have different regions assigned to them for some reason. The Muse DVD happens to be a region 2, while my DVD players are all regions 1.

Are there any programs for the computer I can download that can play this DVD on my computer, or is it something within the DVD drive itself that affects the regioning? Is there any cheap solution to this, or will I have to buy a european DVD player if I want to play this DVD?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What player and DVD drive do you have?
  3. I tried it in all of my DVD players. I've got an Apex, a Harmon Kardon and a DVD player drive that came with my Dell Dimension 2400.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. Most DVD players are sold in many countries and regions and as such they have codes to change the region they can play. Search for the name of one of your drives and the words "region free" on google. You might find a way to select either region free or the region you need.

Don't worry, it's totally legal to change your drive's region code.
  6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

7. If you make a copy of the disc using AnyDVD to remove the region code, you can play the copy on your home players.
  8. I used to work in a TV/Video/HiFi shop, and with nearly all DVD players there is a code you hammer in or control you hold longer than usual or such, and then you can set it to play all regions or whatever

Just google the brand and model of one or so of your DVD players along with "region control" or something, and it might pop up