Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVD to MP3

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Frugle, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Hey, does anyone know of a free program for OSX that will allow me to take the audio from a DVD and turn it into an MP3 so that I can practice from my ipod?

all i need is something that will take the signal, so that I can hit record, and then hit play on the DvD and the hit stop when I want it to stop recording..

i've done it in the past ,but I forget how.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, the EASIEST way to do any form of audio capture. Is to simple take a 1/8" cable male on both ends, one in the microphone/line in and one in the headphone out. Then capture the audio in a free program like Audacity, Sound Studio or even Garageband.

That's easy, it will always work, and you don't really lose quality(maybe a smidgeon, but not too much)

Outside of that. There are software programs that essentially do the same thing, only internally, this will theoretically yield no loss in quality at all(vs. the potential loss you might get with the first method)

Off hand, Wiretap Pro and Audio Hijack are two that I know of, I'm sure there are others.

Now, outside of that, there is a fairly large array of programs specifically designed to rip DVDs.

However, this is where it gets complicated. There are many programs that rip DVDs, offering many different options(Such as, only ripping audio, ripping individual chapters...etc.) some offering fewer options.

As of now, I've been using MactheRipper.app with great success for ripping whole DVDs, it's really straight forward, and it works. I haven't really explored the options yet though, so I don't know if it can rip just the audio channels. But, once you rip the DVD, you can easily pick out just the audio channels by hand.

There are some other programs, goto macupdate.com and do a saerch for "dvd" or "dvd rip" and you'll find more.