Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVD/VCR combo questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jul 28, 2004.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm in the market for a DVD/VCR combo unit. Does anybody here recommend a specific brand over another? Also, can you record from the DVD deck to the VHS deck? Probably not, I'm guessing! Doesn't seem like they sell for that much cheaper on Ebay vs. buying one in a brick and mortar store. Thanks!

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Since they are relatively new, there arent many on ebay.
    But with time, there will be and prices will go down, as well, so if I were you and if money matters, I would wait some more time for it
    If you ask brands, then I can only make general recommendations, as I dont have a DVD/VCR unit nor do I have a home theater...
    I've been very happy with Panasonic stuff, very reliable and good; however, I was very disappointed with Sony - they are cheap mass-produced stuff and the rather choose trendiness over quality :spit:
    Philips has also been good...

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The GoVideo brand one sells at Costco for about $110-120. I know several people who have bought them, and have zero complaints.

I am holding out for an all black one to match my stereo and TV.

-Mike

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    GoVideo - I have one at home and use one at work. Very easy to use, and no problems.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will be the first to say 'Don't buy one'. 6 months from now, when one of the components stop working(probably the VCR), you will be stuck with a half broken thing. Then you will have to buy a VCR, even though your DVD players has one. And no, you can't record the DVDs, if they are encoded with copy protection.

I know at least 20 people who bought a TV/VCR combo, a cassette/CD player combo, or a 'CD-ver', that now have a combo unit where only one component is still functional.

I have one friend that has a 27" TV/VCR with the VCR nonfunctional. He also of course has a VCR, to replace the broken one. And he has a Sharp 'CD-ver', with a nonfunctional CD player. And a cassette/CD combo, also with a nonfunctional CD player. And a CD/DVD player, which for some reason will not play most audio CDs. And a portable CD player, to play the audio CDs that won't work in the DVD/CD player, or of course in any of the nonfunctional CD combo units.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, its like rack-gears, and the combos/heads/pre+power setups debate. With a combo you have everything in one place, but if one part goes wrong, you have to fix the whole; whereas with a pre+power you can easily replace/upgrade.
    Just that the components here are much lower quality....
    And besides, you can get better quality VCRs and DVD-players for almost the same price

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    But it is easy to take the head out of a combo amp, but the vcr out of a tv/vcr, dvd/vcr, etc. combo is a pain in the arse. I'd definitely go for the separate dvd and vcr. You probably can get 2 separate units of comparable quality for the same price as a combo unit. VCRs are becoming more and more obsolete, as well, so it may be like having an 8-track/cd player combo a couple years down the line.

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    While I understand the points in the above posts, I would disagree with their conclusions. Frankly, these devices are now so inexpensive that if it breaks, you can simply get a new one. There are models under $100.

I have found that they are useful for people who are not interested or capable of setting up their own home theater system. (Like my parents and my in laws). Such a device allows you to connect a DVD player to a TV with out having to understand different kinds of cables / connectors. It will use a simple Coax in / out connection, which even non-tech people have made friends with over the years.

I have bought 1 for my parents, and 1 for my wifes parents with no regret or problems. Panasonic, at Costco, $120.

YMMV. Good luck

9. This is exactly what happened to my Philips VCR/DVD Combo. But it was the DVD side of mine that crapped out. It decided one day that it no longer wanted to open/close...had to rip the damn thing apart to get my disc back. I had only had it for 4 months.

On the other hand, I do have some friends that have had combos for a while, and have had no problems, YMMV.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here in the Dallas area, I can get a 4 head hifi VCR for $49, and a DVD/CD player for $39. That is way cheaper than any of the combos I have seen, at $88 for the pair. And if one stops working, throw it out and replace it, instead of having a VCR/DVD combo, and a separate VCR when the VCR part stops working.