1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DVDs being sold early, what kind of laws are being broken?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jiant., Aug 27, 2007.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    If a store was to sell DVDs as early as a week prior to their release date, what kind of laws would they be violating?

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My suspicion is they may have some contract issues with their distributor or wholesaler. I don't believe it's against the law to sell a DVD that was made legally, but I have a feeling most studios have contracts with their distributors that includes penalties for early release.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, probably just a little slap on the wrist, or the threat of legal action.

4. $100,000 fine to the store and no more distribution from that company.

5. I know when I went to the local HMV and saw the Rolling Stones section, a sign stated that they could not promote the bands albums (i.e. display them with the others) but I think they could still sell the albums. This may be a dumb question but does this have to do with this rule or some other conflict between the band and the store?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    At the least, early unauthorized distribution would give rise to breach of contract and copyright infringement claims.

7. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    the local (little guy) record/dvd store releases all of his product early... he's trying to compete with Blockbuster which is two stores down... it helps him bigtime and the kids who work at Blockbuster couldn't give a hoot...

What it does hurt are the movie and record sales figures, as they are not recorded when sold early (he is soundscan, I don't know who records DVD sales).

8. It's political. When that happened Rolling Stones signed a timed exclusive deal with I think it was Best Buy / Future Shop for their Forty Licks DVD. So for a set amount of time they were the only stores that could sell it. During that time most shops like HMV and Entertainment One (Who I worked for) refused to put any Rolling Stones items on the shelves.

The same happened with Alanis Morrisette when she signed a similar deal with Starbucks. I believe Bruce Springsteen did the same.

9. Sounds familiar now. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Whats this, Morrisette selling records out of Starbucks? Giving them away free with coffee? Haha, welcome to the bottom!

11. Yeah it was a couple of years ago. I think it was a Starbucks / Chapters thing. Can't remember all the details though.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I bet they got used as coasters!