Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVD's

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by west*coast*bass, Jan 18, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Todd,

How much theory is in the "Walking Bass Line Module System"?

And what can we expect from your next DVD?

I'll stop by the Zon booth tomorrow to say hello.

Mark

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ

Primarily I develop strong/beat weak/beat theory in my "Walking Bass Line Module System" DVD. It's not a theory course.....although most theory courses don't seem to explain strong/weak beat theory very well.... In a nutshell I explain the theory you need to compose and create your own walking lines. Make sense??

Here's what's on my new "Technique Builders" DVD;

* I totally break down the ergonomics and mechanics of the right and left hands and fingers.

* Floating thumb technique

* Right hand muting versus left hand muting

* Right hand touch

* Supportive fingering

* Ghost notes

* Hammer-ons and pull-offs

Plus a bunch of exercises/drills that apply to the things that weall play.

The one thing I don't cover is "thumb slapping".

That's a subject totally unto itself....plus, Norm Stockton and many others have done the definitive versions of teaching that technique.

BUT..........

My new "Technique Builders" DVD covers all the other stuff in a very organized and thought out manner. I also go into great detail to explain and demonstrate how everything works. I think you'll be very happy with it.....or at least I hope
    you and others will be.

It'll really help you clean up your playing....that's for sure.

Sorry, but I won't be at NAMM this year. I'm not quite over my second go-around with this nasty cold bug......and I have an abundance of out-of-town gigs coming up.....so....I really need to get as healthy as possible. I'm sure you can understand.

I'm terribly dissapointed that I can't go to NAMM.:( I was really looking forward to seeing everyone.....do a little playing...and promote my new ZON TJ-6 signature model bass. Please be sure and stop by the ZON booth and check it out.....order 2 or 3!! HA!:D ......maybe take some pictures for me etc.

Be sure to say hi to my friends at ACCUGROOVE, ENSOTEC and BARKER BASS. Tha't the other places I was going to be hanging out at.

Anyway.........have a great time.

Stay healthy!

3. is it far above a beginner's level?

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ

Actually it's perfect for beginners wanting to learn it right the first time.........or for the "self taught, old pro" who wants to fix some bad habits.

I've had GREAT success teaching this method since 1991 with fantastic results.

Are you a beginner??......an old pro.....somewhere in the middle?

5. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    PFD,

I realized I should ask which DVD you we're asking about:eek: ....was it the walking bass DVD???.....or my soon to be released "technique" DVD???:help:

Let me know and I can advise accordingly.

6. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Well, I'm sorry I won't be able to see you and catch up. We can do that another time when you are feeling better.

I will be ordering the Walking Bass Lines DVD this week, I can't wait to dig in!

Feel better,

Mark

7. Both I guess, but I was referring to the one MArk was. I checked your site and didn't see 2 dvds.

thanks

8. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ

PFD,

There's a small mention on my home page about the "soon to be released" technique DVD.....but no worries.

Actually, both DVD's will work great for beginners....

If you've got your walking bass together, then you probably don't need my DVD........

The Walking bass DVD is ideal for you .....assuming you know your major and minor triads......and what a half step (one-fret) above or below any given note is. If you have an idea what and where the notes are in the first 5 fret area, then you're in good shape to understand the material. It's really a great system for organizing your ideas.

Happy to help.

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Ok, I have had my first couple of hours with Todd's DVD and I must say this is the BEST way to learn the walking bass line groove. Plus, it can be quite a good left hand workout (especially going slow - I threw that in just for you Todd!).

Anyone wanting to brush up on your walking skills should get this DVD.

And no, I am not being compensated for this review. :D

10. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Mark,

Hey, glad that the DVD is working out for you. I kinda thought it would!!:D

I really appreciate the endorsement.

BTW, I talked to the manufacturers today and my new "technique builders" DVD is supposed to be here Thursday!! I'll do a seperate thread about it later today or early tomorrow.

Play slow!!;)

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Just joined the School of Todd, via a purchase of the
    Walking DVD.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll post some comments once I receive it and get some hours under my belt.

12. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ

Way to go Frank!!!!:hyper:

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    +1
    Just ordered it myself and I'll post a review as well. I've been playing for 10 years, but my walking is less than I'd like it to be,

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm looking forward to it.

15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    You know, I was really dissappointed when I first started watching this video.

It starts out o.k. but at first I thought "Hmm...this is a bit misleading." Then Todds ugly mug shows up on the screen and I then I thought "What the heck could this spectacle wearing, bald headed geek possibly know???"

Man, I was really disappointed after seeing him.

Then he started to play and I realized..."Hey, this isn't the Carmen Electra belly dancing instructional video!! It's the one I got from TalkBass!!"

Whew!

So anyway,

I have been struggling with my walking for a long time now. After watching this dvd I have already improved ALOT! The 'module' idea makes perfect sense to me. I have bought several instructional books on walking theory and all I got was discouraged. It always seemed so complicated. Todd presents his system clearly and in a way that even beginners can start walking IMMEDIATELY!

Yes, it's that easy. Todd's system is that good.

Like Todd mentions in the video, it will be up to the individual to follow through and learn the system and internalize the whole thing completely. BUT like I said, this system will start you walking RIGHT NOW!

O.k., I'm starting to feel like an infomercial.

If you have been wanting to walk or have been struggling to walk well, get off your can and get this video. Then send me a thank you note written on a $5 bill.

You will be glad to after taking my advice and getting this video.

:D

Joe.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So you're saying there's no belly dancing? :(

Maybe on his next DVD ;) :D

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    What exactly is a *module* in this context?

Is there lots of material to play along with?

Thanks.

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I guess basically a module is a specific way to play a measure. Todd specifically defines it in the dvd but I can't quote if off of the top of my head.

You will be able to start walking along with ANY song that you know. As long as you can keep up with it. If walking is unfamiliar territory, start slow. But you WILL be able to start RIGHT AWAY. Once you get the hang of it, it will go fast.

There is no documentation that accompanies the dvd but there is some available on the website for free with the purchase of the dvd. There are even backing tracks!

I don't want to be too descriptive about his method. If Todd wants to release any specific info he can do it, not me.

If you already walk and do it well, I have no idea how valuable this dvd will be to you. It is a gold mine for me!

Well worth my Upgrade fee and even cheaper on Todd's website if you don't want to donate to TalkBass.

Get it! Now! Hurry!

or don't.

Joe.

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    As long as he's not the one doing it!

:eek:

Joe.

20. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I just got both Todd's DVDs (Walking Bass v. 1 & Technique Builders). I am by no means a beginner but I don't have money for regular lessons and am polishing my skills before moving to a big city (SF Bay Area) in several months.

I feel like 90% of the time my walking bass lines are quite good but they do not yet have the uncanny sense of direction and 'inevitability' of the masters (Ray Brown, Charles Mingus, Scott LaFaro). I've worked out of a couple books (Rufus Reid's Evolving Bassist, Todd Coolman's The Bottom Line) but not in the last couple months. I got Todd's videos in the hope of jump-starting the learning process, and...

Success! I sat down with the Walking video a couple nights ago. It's elementary. This is not a put-down at all--he's just dealing with the fundamental, basic elements of good bass line construction from the bottom up. He emphasizes that as bass players, we are expected to fill the function of outlining the root motion/harmony and keeping good time with a full tone. IIRC his definition of a "module" is a one-bar or two-beat pattern/phrase that can be plugged in anywhere in a progression.

It's amazing the variety that you can get just from using a chord's 1, 3, 5, octave, and chromatic tones above/below the next root. Todd's coverage of strong/weak beat theory and tone also are helpful in getting an authentic jazz concept. I haven't yet visited Todd's site for the supplemental materials.

Todd's presentation is clear and logical. Most examples are over an F Blues with a jazzy turnaround; he also applies the modules to Autumn Leaves. There's a little sheet in the DVD box that lists the modules. After playing along with the video I took the cheat sheet and applied the modular approach to some of my favorite jazz tunes (Nefertiti, Satin Doll, Nature Boy, Chelsea Bridge) and felt a sense of direction to my lines that was previously lacking. I'm definitely gonna keep working on these. Haven't had a chance to watch the Technique video yet but I'm hoping to tonight.

Todd, I know you said you're working on another Walking video that will cover higher arpeggio/chord extensions--I hope you'll also cover odd time signatures, rhythmic embellishment and maybe a little bit of Latin bassline construction. Thanks for the inspiration!