Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DVR to your comp or hard drive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Feb 21, 2006.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    How do people save stuff to their computer or external hard drive from their DVR?

I have always wondered this... my DVR has firewire outs and a usb, but you can't use it for this...

:confused::confused::confused:

2. inquiring minds want to know!!!! Thanks for posting this. I hope someone has an answer!!

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The USB on mine (TiVo) is only for hooking up a wireless adapter. Can't be used for audio/video transfer.

The way I do it is to wire the outputs (Audio L-R, and either Video (yellow) or S-video) to a video capture device, play the program, and capture on the PC in real time. Or, more commonly, capture it on my el cheapo component DVD burner.

If there's a "hi-speed" method, I'd like to hear about it also.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the info!!

Keep em' coming, guys! :)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My brother built a media center computer and with a TV tuner card and the right software it works as the DVR itself and is on his home network.

brad cook

6. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I have a Dish Network PVR and I've extracted the recorded programs so they could be burned to DVD, but it's rather tedious.

It basically consists of removing the drive (which voids your warranty), plugging it into a computer, and using a piece of software written to recognize the drive and pull the information off.. It's then saved as an .mpg file and can be edited for commercials and burned to DVD.

It works great, but like I said, it's fairly tedious.