1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dwarfcraft Devices Shiva

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sickest beast, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I remember seeing one of these in someones pedal board, and I'm also wondering if anyone else has one and would like to share their opinion about it?

I've watched Aens youtube videos and it sounds pretty great.

Have you made use of the "starve" effect that comes built in? What kind of cool stuff have you done with it? Also, what kind of bass and rig are you running it with? and do you gig with it? or just play around with it?

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    pretty sure unrepresented is the guy who has it around here

3. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I've had mine since last year, it's pretty damn killer. I'm not good at describing a fuzz pedal's sounds with "words" but I'd say it has a really thrashy & unique type sound (I always have the texture nearly max'd). I haven't heard a fuzz that sounds anything like yet. With the starve feature kicked in (which I always have max'd to) there's oscillation and the fuzz tones are a little more splattered with more low end I think. I play a custom Sage 4 string with MM style pickups.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think there's another one around here someplace too. EDIT: And another San Diegan at that!
    Yeah, that's what got me to buy it too. He looks like he's having fun.
    The starve is limited to use with the fuzz, so it basically just lo-fi's up an already fairly lo-fi fuzz. The starve primarily acts as a gate for me. The more you starve it the less sustain you get, and the you get an increase in glitches and artifacts as the original signal fades. There also is some volume loss with the starve, but can be adjusted for with the master volume knob.

It's currently on my pedal board and made a brief appearance or two in the recent recording project my band's been doing (no, sorry no clips as of yet). I've found two basic functions for it:

1) lofi synthy, gated fuzz with either a hint or a good dose of octave up depending on settings -- similar to Devi Ever's BIT fuzz from what I can tell from the samples.

2) chaos - oscillating, feedbacking, fuzzy chaos.

I'm torn between which I prefer.

I play either a Fender American Jazz (passive 4) or Warwick $$ (active 4) through an Ampeg SVT-II. Loudly.

5. sounds pretty cool guys.

I've pretty much decided on getting one of these. I play a lot of noise and I know the power starve will add to the chaos.

I really dig the artwork on the pedal too.

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I'm getting more and more curious about this thing myself. Will us SD fx forum/tone aficionados ever convene or is it merely a pipe dream?

7. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I'd be down for sure.

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    that makes five of us, i think. anybody else? 619 reprazent! (Yeah I know half of your are up in south ornage county haha) but who has a spot where we can make noise?

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, pedal construction is fairly low-budgetish. It's just a sticker on an unpainted box. Still haven't opened up the underside to view its guts, so can't comment on build quality.
    At the risk of overhyping this box of magic, both my guitarists absolutely hate the tones it puts out. Pure bass WIN!:meh:
    My rehearsal studio is a foul mess because of the recording situation currently being undertaken, so it'll be a while before I'd be able to offer up an unfurnished room of loudness. If anyone else knows/has a place that'd probably be quicker, better, faster, stronger, more.

10. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Dude the starve has got my attention. I have been thinking of trying a Germanium Overdrive from EHX. It has the starve option and sounds amazing on guitar with it.

11. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I definitely wouldn't say the Shiva is anything like a germ OD, the starve knob max'd doesn't tame the fuzz sound really IMO.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    So far we got my tiny shack with noise restrictions and limited outlets, somebody else's firetrap cottage, or your crowded (and centrally located, hint hint) space.

Looking forward to meeting you all in 2012!

13. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I know of a place where you can jam out as loud as you like, you rent different sized rooms, some are empty, some already have a drum kit and bass amp or guitar amp inside. It's just north of MCAS miramar in the industrial area there. My buddy and I used to go there all the time, it's about 40 an hour I think. I haven't gone back in a while cause I melted one of their peavy bass amps...

14. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Sounds good to me. Let's try to figure out a Saturday or Sunday and get together. $40 isn't too bad if we split it 5 or 6 (or more) ways.

15. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Hindsight studios in Miramar? Their backline is lousy, but as long as everyone has good amps or doesn't mind sharing, it should be cool.

Hopefully our recording situation should be finished in the near future. We're doing the last few songs worth of guitar tracking so it wouldn't be eternity. If you guys are hot to trot though, Miramar sounds like a less bladder bursting wait time.

16. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I'd be willing to bring a rig or whatever I can fill my car up with.

17. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i'm down, though i'd rather put the 40 an hour toward quality tone, but let's see what works for everybody

roll call! I gots:

RC
    r3
    CliffD
    un-rep
    ftp? (questionmark because he's made it clear he has a gf/"real gig"/is generally too cool for us)

I'll bring (a) beer for everbody!*

*void where under 21

18. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I demand that FTP be there. Find out his daily travels, bring some chloroform and a big burlap sack, I'll provide the distraction.

19. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i really couldn't care less if he shows up or not, as long as we get to play with his moogerfoogers

edit: and to get back on topic, same goes for you and your shiva! :p

20. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    +1.

We should probably get a San Diego Effects GTG thread going.