1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dweezil Zappa - "Eruption"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Pretty darn close.

Funkinthetrunk, Low8 and ElectroVibe like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    This is the first time I ever heard this song. Is that all there is to it, a solo?

I have seen Dweezil, back in 2012. It was great to hear him perform his dad's music, after hearing Frank do so in 1973.

thabassmon likes this.
  4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes. I think of it as a brief prelude to "You Really Got Me" from the first VH album.

5. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Yes it's just a solo that in 2020 may not sound as impressive as it did in the late seventies.

6. It on classic rock radio stations all the time. The EVH version.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Yes.
    And at it's release it made the guitar world set up and take notice.
    "You have been served"

SirMjac28, songwriter21, 31HZ and 8 others like this.
  8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ironically, I was just annoyed today when 99.9 The Hawk played VH's version of "You Really Got Me" Sans "Eruption". Totally bogus man.:laugh:

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Honestly, I have never heard it on our local classic rock stations.

All this time that I hear people talking about "Eruption" I thought it was a complete song. I never listened to any VH because not too long after I began playing bass (Winter 1971) I was redirected into prog rock and jazz fusion. Other than folk/folk rock music, I rarely veered from that path.

krimo and StereoPlayer like this.
  10. It’s just an intro or prelude, and isn’t as good on its own, as it is in the context of the song that follows it on the album.

packhowitzer, LowWay and Jeff Scott like this.
  11. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    excellent!:thumbsup:

12. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    It was Eddie Van Halen's solo piece for their stage show dating back to before their first album. I wouldn't dismiss it as just a solo, you have to consider the historical context where its release on that first Van Halen album really was a very significant milestone for rock guitar: it was the first time the vast majority of people ever heard that two-handed tapping technique which heavily influenced a whole generation of guitarists.

StevieMac, 31HZ, smogg and 12 others like this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I’m waiting or him to run out of fretboard like Stevie Vai in Crossroads:woot:

14. When we heard it first, in our youth, we all immediately decided that EVH (we did didn’t really know the name yet) was way better than Jimmy Page. Eruption definitely shook our world view!

15. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I saw Dweezil perform Eruption and several other VH tunes at a concert a few years ago. He even had a chubby guy dressed up as David attempting high kicks and singing. It was awesome. He briefly told the story of how Eddie called the house one day looking for Frank. Dweezil wasn't sure it was really him until he showed up at the house and taught him to play eruption.

16. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Agree with your statement.......
    With the exception of those familiar with the work of Django Reinhardt.
    To us, EVH was a logical (and incredibly talented) progression down a trail blazed by DR.
    He certainly took the technique to impressive extremes. Brown sound, indeed.

BunchyMutt and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve only see Page and EVH live once each. Eddie was playing in tune. Page, not so much.
    Since music is not a competition to be graded or scored, it would be hard to say who was better, but EVH at least cared enough to keep his guitar tuned. Page OTOH couldn’t be bothered and the pained expression on JPJ’s face pretty much indicated his displeasure as well.

DrayMiles likes this.
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

A Jaco's Donna Lee class solo. A game changer. Otherwise yeah that's all there is to it.

jerry, mrm56, 31HZ and 6 others like this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Or, Jimmy Webster.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I'm quite familiar with the work of Django, yet I can't think of an example of double handed tapping in his playing. Which song are you referring to ?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020