1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dye/Stain for Relic job?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by betardfoosier, May 11, 2011.

1. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I have a beautiful ash body I want to strip and refinish. I want to stain the body and then relic (wear certain spots), does stain or dye lend itself to this? I basically want it to look like a beautiful stained guitar that has had the hell played out of it. What kind of finish would you put on top of the stain for a worn satin look? Thanks!

2. Not really an answer, but IMO, stain finishes look best when they look new. On the other hand, CAR as a relic is sweet. I love CAR with a maple board and it's got wear on it.

3. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    What is the difference between dye and stain? How deep into the wood do they go?

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Dyes penetrate into pores without obscuring grain or figure. Stains largely sit on the surface of wood, plugging the pored and largely obscuring curly figure. It's largely due to the particle size. Dye particles are small enough to get down into the pores, stains have larger particles.

Also, dyes are generally transparent, while many stains are somewhat opaque.